Yamaha RXV-800: Sub, X1 box or receiver thumping problem?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Since lightening struck the house next to us, the sub has been acting funny. It is an older Paradigm PDR-10 that is hooked into my Yamaha RXV-800 as part of my TV/Bluray surround sound system. When I change TV channels, you hear a thump-like sound from the sub. I am trying to determine where the problem is: the sub, X1 box or the receiver?

I have my X1 box sound going directly into the Yamaha via optical. Then bass sound goes from the Yamaha into the sub via coax. The TV is hooked into the X1 via HDMI. Older Yamaha, no HDMI. I have tried several approaches to determine what's happening:

1. Aside from the change channel thumping, the sub plays well as part of my 5.1 system and makes no untoward sounds when the Yamaha is off

2. Unhooked cable from sub and got no thumping when changing channels while in surround sound

3. Just had sound directly from X1 to TV, no untoward sounds when changing channels. BUT, I don't believe my TV (Panasonic plasma) has a sub in it, so this may not be a fair test??? Did this test because a tech suggested that if the X1 was the cause (he said when changing channels the X1 mutes sound and it may not be doing that now), then one should hear the thumping when changing channels.

4. Last test was to run sound directly (as it is set up) from bluray player to receiver. I think this test gave me the answer. There were popping (thumping) sounds when using the BR's remote (Play, FF, FR, Stop). i would now have to assume that it is the Yamaha that needs either repair or replacement, eh???

EDIT: Further developments...When using the surround system as is (thumping on changing channels and also on certain selection on the remote), I notice that there is now a random thumping every so often. So, here we have system working, sub working and now thumping from "who knows where" to thumping when clicking the X1 remote's FF/FR or Pause or Play . Leads me, again, to think it is a problem coming from a somewhat lightening zapped receiver??? What so you guys think?

Sound like the receiver to me, The sub is only reproducing what is sent to it. If you just unplug the cable from the sub the receiver is still sending all the bass to the sub out. You would have to go into the speaker setup menu and set the fronts to large and sub to none to see if the thump comes out of the front speakers. Even then it may not be as noticeable without the bass extension of the sub unless you have enough large fronts to reproduce it