YouTube 4K Video Recording. Is this a equipment plan?

exhibitO

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I plan to do some YouTube video recording, I wanted to run my plan for equipment by the forum to see if it makes sense.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 Ultra High Def (UHD) "4K" camera with built-in lens - $705 (on sale)

I would like to be able to capture "4K". The specifications from Panasonic say "4K QFHD Video Recording at 30 fps"

Is that OK for YouTube?

Is this the best 4K camera I can get in that price range?

Secondly, mounting: I'm opting for an Amazon Basics 67-Inch Video Camera Tripod

Is there something else you'd recommend?

Lighting: I cant seem to find any decent lighting under $100, the one I did find is the LimoStudio-Photography Photo Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit.

Lastly, sound: I have a Blues Yeti Microphone I plan to use to record. I will monitor audio as I'm recording with my headphones, and capture audio using "Reaper" software. Is this better than using an inline microphone connected to the camera?

I'm worried about the video and audio being out of sync. I will probably use Sony Vegas to render the video and sync the audio.

Does this all sound like a good plan to you?

Thank you for reading!

Solution
Youtube doesn't have the option to display in 4K. The highest Youtube displays is 1080p. If you want a 4k Camera for the extra pixels during editing and planning to export in 1080p, then I would think that this camera is fine if you're only looking for 30FPS. I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the camera, if you give us an idea, we could recommend a few things. I'm assuming you want to do some filmmaking. In my opinion, I would say getting a Canon DSLR. In the future, you might want higher framerates. And even if the Canon DSLR's only record at 1080p, all you need to do is frame correctly and you're good.

That tripod looks like a BEAST. I would suggest you read some reviews on it. If your type of work is run and gun...

TyroneIronclad

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
Youtube doesn't have the option to display in 4K. The highest Youtube displays is 1080p. If you want a 4k Camera for the extra pixels during editing and planning to export in 1080p, then I would think that this camera is fine if you're only looking for 30FPS. I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the camera, if you give us an idea, we could recommend a few things. I'm assuming you want to do some filmmaking. In my opinion, I would say getting a Canon DSLR. In the future, you might want higher framerates. And even if the Canon DSLR's only record at 1080p, all you need to do is frame correctly and you're good.

That tripod looks like a BEAST. I would suggest you read some reviews on it. If your type of work is run and gun, I would suggest a lighter tripod. But this tripod looks pretty good.

If you're planning to do filmmaking, I would suggest BUILDING dimmable LED panels. I would suggest a color temperature of 4500K.

For audio, if you're planning to do some filmmaking, I would suggest a shotgun mic paired with an external audio recorder. I use a Rode GT-2 paired with a a Zoom H4N. If all you're planning to do is commentate over some videos then your Blue Yeti should be fine, but I would recommend some audio editing. If you have lots of background noise, like people talking, I would suggest getting a Lav mic paired with an audio recorder because to my knowledge it is A LOT harder to edit out voices than the fan of your PC or the sound of traffic. I use an Audio Technica Pro70 paired with a Tascam DR-05.

I'm a filmmaker in the works, but don't put too much emphasis on what I'm saying. I'm still learning. But these are the things that I've experienced and what I've noticed that I needed to change, get, or not get.

Solution