10 Classic PC Games Begging For A Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Good luck with Tie Fighter and Wing Commander, the average gamer today wouldn't be able to figure out the nav points, let alone how to manage shields, weapons and targeting. And of course it would be an iPad/iOS app to begin with.

G

Knights of Legend,
plus all the old Sierra games need to be updated for iPad/tablets! :)

G

Descent. There is still not another game like it, although the original is very attainable on GOG.com. Still looks good for a game from the mid-90s, too, although I would love to see a modern remake.

G

Starflight. Starflight II. Roam the Galaxy looking for artifacts. Watch out for the pesky Spemin and the cantankerous Gazurtoids!
Ogre. The ONLY way to play the Steve Jackson game!
Secret of Monkey Island. Loved the swordfighting insults, written by Orson Scott Card, who went on to make it big writing science fiction

G

Ahh.. the nostalgia! I played Wizardy for many, many hours. Zork, too. Had friends really into Might and Magic and Ultima. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

G

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Heads of Tails of It. A unique word game using puns, spoonerisms and other word play. From Infocom.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Wizardry I still play (dosbox for older - straight up for the 8), WingCommander (ditto). I can only imagine what they could do with a modern budget and dx11 graphics.

FreeSpace 3 must be done ... this is not a request ... it's a demand. Great game(s) / even better community.

MOO & MOM: Master of Orion and Master of Magic, I miss x4 strategy games. The ones out there are good but not quite the same.

Planescape ... may be a bit hard considering how silly Hasbro/Wizards/TSR/WhoCares has been.

Balls of Steel ... no the pinball game. Pinball fantasies etc was great as well. Am I the only person left who loves pinball games?

Flight Unlimited. Back in the day great graphics. With DX11 GPUs .. it could be just jaw-dropping.

Lastly .. HEY EA LISTEN UP YOU FOOLS ... NSF BRITAIN, ITALY, GERMANY & USA/MUSCLE UNLEASHED. No more drifting crap, no more arcade crap, no more pretty but crappy controls, no more DRM infections, no mmo gimmicks, no more EA only mod community ... I want a sequel to Porsche Unleashed and I want you to help the community to rebuild the brand you seem intent on killing.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
While I really blasted the last game review (it was pointless) this one really was done well and brings back lot of memories.
I got into Zork as did my brother and a few friends. In a way the player made the world by drawing maps and logic lines that helped you type your way though the game and if you ever got to the end you had a drawn out map of the world you typed though. There was also a lot of books and maps sold for the cheaters or the impatient or the understandably frustrated players. There was a lot of those you would find on the pre web or BBS's of the time.
For old space games I still prefer the I-war game over the Xwing game because it gave you a feeling of really being in space after a sort. The Xwing was a air plane game in space and nothing more. It just had the star war's appeal. With I-War if you choose you could hit the engines in a planet system and slowly go faster and faster until you got close to the speed of light. That sure took a long time. Put a weight on the keyboard for a day or so to do that. Or use the LDS drive to instantly flash up close to lightspeed. That was a lot of fun with the space battles.
I would vote for either the might and magic or the ultima games. Shows why I love the Skyrim games. They let you more free to roam and fight or just roam and run away if you wanted. I grew up using the very old Atari 800 computers and their 520ST that had the GEM desktop that was the forerunner to Windows except it was totally reliable unlike Windows and came on a small EPROM chip. Went with AMD 386 40mhz after that. Tried some Atari rehash for the PC but they never worked very good. Like said the clock speeds were so far different and they needed a time limiter in the software instead of just running at program speed. If they would have done some reprograming they could have made them work better but you also needed the very very simple atari joystick with some of them also. The keyboard just couldn't work with them right. For a 8 point device those simple joysticks worked real good for those old simple games hehe.... They were just about indestructible as well.
But good article, it was really done well and brought back loads of memories of simple but fun games. No matter how complex a game can be it still needs the fun factor that is fighting tooth and nail with eye candy these days and it's hard to find a really down to earth fun game these days. But there are a few every so often. Love Skyrim, Doom series and about 2, maybe 3 of the Call of duty games, the rest were pure money makers and not much fun as they all became the same after a point.
Anyway, thanks for putting out a good game review article that had a good point too it. I'm too much of a bitch to be very nice but I get buy here and there.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Oh yeah, I love the old pinball games too. Spent many a quarter in some taverns on those. There was this one playboy pin ball game that we drove everyone in there nuts with. The ball would run into a slot and run a piece of music and then eject the ball after getting a bunch of points.
We got the timing down that once the music played out we would give it a good whack and the ball ejector would miss and get more points. Talk about irritating, music WHACK, music WHACK, music WHACK.... on and on... you could hear in from the bathroom heheheh.. I mean super irritating to just about everyone in the tavern... hehe.... They took it out after 2 months of that.... They liked us enough to put up with it for that long... hehe.. We sat in the bathroom just laughing our ass's off hearing one friend we put in charge of whacking it... Good days.. sigh... miss them a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.