3.5 mm extension cable problem

SilentGTX

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
Hi guys , I have a 3.5 mm extension cable that I want to use with headphones. The problem that I've encountered is that when I connect the headphones with the extension cable only the left speaker works :( . I can't connect the headphones with the front panel connectors because I hear a static/electronic sound , the sounds is really low but it still is quite obtrusive. I think the problem with the front panel may be that the ground of the audio and the USB ports are the same. Anyway, if you know to solve any of the problems mentioned before , I'll be really thankful :D !

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
The lines on the connector indicate the channel separations. Two plastic lines that divide two areas of metal are two channel. Three usually mean they include the mic channel.

Most PC audio does not use three, but instead, uses a separate cable for a mic. Check to see if you're using a three and make sure the connector goes in flush.

As for the static sound, double check the front panel audio connector on the motherboard, make sure its plugged in correctly.

SilentGTX

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014

The extension cable has 2 plastic lines on the connector . The connector of the front panel is fully connected. The extension cable only allows the left speaker to work , no matter what device is connected to it : speakers , headphones , earbuds etc. What could be the problem ? :(

Try to isolate which component is causing the problem. What happens if you plug the headphones straight into the front panel? Do you get sound in both ears, and is it true stereo (i.e. you're not hearing the exact same thing in both ears)?

If the headphones work fine plugged straight in, then the cable is faulty. Getting sound in only one ear could mean one of the wires is broken. Or it could simply be that the plastic stopper on the plug isn't allowing you to insert it completely into the front panel jack. Try holding the extension plug side-by-side with the headphone plug and see if there's any difference in length between the plastic stopper to tip of the plug.

If you only get left audio with the headphones, or you get sound in both ears but it is not stereo, then the front panel is faulty. The plastic covering the jack may not be letting you insert the plugs fully. Or you have a bad connection somewhere inside the front panel or computer. The fact that you're getting a buzzing strongly suggests the front panel is at fault. Try plugging the headphones partway in.

(The other possibility was that the right headphone was faulty, but you eliminated that by testing different headphones and speakers.)

An alternative way to test it is to try the extension cable and headphones/speakers with a different sound source - another computer or MP3 player. That will help you isolate if the problem is the cable or your audio front panel.

SilentGTX

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014

If I put the headphones directly into the front panel both speakers are working but I hear something like a static noise, but when i connected them to the back panel , everything works as is should , no noise or anything like that . What I want to do is to connect the headphones through the extension cable to the back of the PC , but i can't do this because only the left speaker will work . The length of the connector is the same. I also checked the connection with my Nexus 5 , same thing, only the left speaker works :( !

Feb 18, 2022
Hi I have tried two new headphone extension cables from Amazon and both have this problem. Plugged directly into the PC, my earbuds work perfectly. Plugged into one of the extension cables, the left earbud gets no audio. Anyone know why?

TRENDING THREADS