Solved! 35 Foot HDMI - Booster or RJ45?

Kai__M

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello,

I want to hook up my PC in my home office to the television in my living room. The cable would essentially need to follow and "L" shape, and a 35 foot cable would be a good fit to have some wiggle room.

I've never had to deal with an HDMI over a distance more than 8 feet. Will I need a booster? I read that HDMI over RJ45 is better for long distances, however, doing a cost calculation both methods are almost identical in price.

Also, does the price matter? I would think that a CAT6 and HDMI cable of the same length at a similar price would mean the CAT6 would likely be of better quality, but I'm not sure, and does this even matter? I've used HDMI cables of a wide range of qualities and haven't noticed much difference between them besides some having sheathing or feeling like they're made of a higher quality material.

Thanks,
Kai

Solution
I stream from my gaming PC to my laptop (Steam) and to my NVidia Shield (NVidia) and both work perfectly using an RJ-45 cable. I bought a 50m reel of outdoor rated cable and a bag of heads for about £20. The advantage for me was that it let me run the cable down the side of the house which avoided too much hassle or ugly cabling inside.

The good thing about network cable is that it is pretty cheap and very easy to cut to exact length/work through holes. There are also a lot of services that are based around network streaming i.e. controllers connect to the shield and everything just pretty much works. I have no problem running a 1080*60 stream over wired LAN, although you are correct to avoid wireless, I tried this setup using WiFi...

Kai__M

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Oh, I didn't mention that I intend to use the connection primarily for gaming. So wireless connectivity is not what I'd prefer because of latency and distortion from streaming.

okay hdmi can go longer than 35ft, they sell reels of 100ft but it has to be quality stuff plenum wirring
look it up I deal with ADi so easy to find it, but the same type of wiring sold everywhere

https://adiglobal.us/Pages/Product.aspx?pid=ZX-277135X&Category=0000
http://www.markertek.com/product/vco-277135x/vanco-277135x-plenum-rated-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-35-foot

Kai__M

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Then the cheapest stuff probably won't do it well? I should buy something more premium?

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I stream from my gaming PC to my laptop (Steam) and to my NVidia Shield (NVidia) and both work perfectly using an RJ-45 cable. I bought a 50m reel of outdoor rated cable and a bag of heads for about £20. The advantage for me was that it let me run the cable down the side of the house which avoided too much hassle or ugly cabling inside.

The good thing about network cable is that it is pretty cheap and very easy to cut to exact length/work through holes. There are also a lot of services that are based around network streaming i.e. controllers connect to the shield and everything just pretty much works. I have no problem running a 1080*60 stream over wired LAN, although you are correct to avoid wireless, I tried this setup using WiFi (laptop connected via WiFi and PC hard wired) and image quality suffered greatly.

Solution

Kai__M

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Thank you for your response! :)

Yes, what I had been doing for awhile was streaming games from my PC (hardwired) to my laptop (wifi). And I found myself turning down the resolution, framerate cap, and bit-rate to get more responsive and stable gameplay. My laptop is very small and does not have an ethernet jack, but I could buy a USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter I suppose. Looks like I can get a cheap generic one off ebay for a few dollars. Might be worth giving that a shot first.