4kbluray

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
What external blu ray player/ripper and software can I use to back up my 4k blu rays to my external hard drive and have to ability to play them from the drI've to plex on my tv?

Solution
Since you can only rip normal blu rays. H.264 is fine (but larger fine sizes). Every modern TV seems to support MP4 videos. get a 128GB flash drive. should hold enough movies for over 24hrs of footage.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Any Blu-ray player can rip the movies without a problem.

Playing them is another matter. I don't believe you'll be able to do this as described.
You'll need some kind of actual computer to play the files that supports 4k output. Simply putting the video on a drive and plugging it into the TV won't work like it does with USB sticks and movies.

Sounds like you need a 4k capable HTPC with a ton of storage, should be doable for under $500 USD.

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Get DVDFab which rips blu rays/3d and 4k. convert it into H.265 MKV file for playback. Not many TVs support have HEVC support but you can find bluray players and the New Xbox and Ps4 Neo will have support when they come out.

4kbluray

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Iamacow,

I believe my tv has the ability..http://www.lg.com/hk_en/tv/lg-55UH7700

If it does do you think the plex app on there will be able to read the hard drive plugged into the usb 3.0 port?

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Edit: It looks like i'm wrong DVDFab does not support UHD ripping as it has not been cracked yet.

it does say "HEVC Decoder" support. the manual will tell you more information like which containers are supported. aka MP4, MKV, etc. For the harddrive I dont see why it wouldn't support a hard drive if its formatted correctly. Like my Vizo Tv only supports FAT32 format so any file over 4gb won't show up. Once again the manual might give some insight on the flash drive formatting (which is the same for an external).

I cannot find the manual on the site....

4kbluray

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
I will check the manual when I get home.

I guess as long as it's 1080k blu ray that good enough.

Need to keep the kids occupied when I need a night off lol.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Makemkv and a cheap htpc. Even $35 raspberrypi3 can decode 4k h264.
I use Kodi/openELEC as my OS. I wouldn't bother with 4k though 1080p and even 720p are good enough for archiving. 4k is just waste of space on your hdd.

4kbluray

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Thanks everyone for posting. I drive around in a brown truck delivering packages all day, so I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff.

HEVC/VP9 is the only thing my eye can catch. I'm trying to Google it.
Probably doesn't matter, but my hard drive is a WD My Passport Ultra- 3TB.

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Since you can only rip normal blu rays. H.264 is fine (but larger fine sizes). Every modern TV seems to support MP4 videos. get a 128GB flash drive. should hold enough movies for over 24hrs of footage.

Solution