Solved! 4K TV with Non 4K AVR?

Marjana Ricky

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
Alright, having some problems and looking for suggestions/advice/solution from fellow members here.

I am planning for a 4k TV 55 inch (Sony x90f 55 inch) for my current HT setup but my AVR doesn't support 4k. I heard/read over here that we can use 2 HDMI interfaces i.e. 1 from GPU to TV for the 4k video and 1 hdmi from mobo to avr for the TrueHD/MA lossless sound. Before investing in 4k hdr tv i want to make sure this way works as i can't upgrade my AVR yet. So last night i connected my Nvidia 1060 HDMI to my current TV for the video, Mobo HDMI to AVR input and turned on. Selected the Yamaha output from the sound that windows 10 detected and got the sound working. BUT to my surprise i am not getting Master Audio or True HD sound but only Dolby Digital or DTS. I am confused what to do or where i went wrong as i am sure my Asus mobo supports lossless audio. Any help regarding this would be appreciable. This is my current specs:

Intel i5 2500K 4.8ghz
Asus P8Z77 v pro
16GB GSkill sniper DDR3 RAM
Yamaha HTR 3067

Thank you

Solution
The description of your mobo doesn't actually mention Dolby TrueHD. It says
"Absolute Pitch 192/24 bit True BD lossless sound".
That could be two channel HiRes audio not multichannel surround sound. The BD part may be misleading.

Marjana Ricky

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

Hmmm this sucks tbh :/

Marjana Ricky

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

I don't think there is much under windows sound, except the part that i need to select intel audio hdmi instead of Nvidia audio. :/

Marjana Ricky

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
Hmmm can i use display port to HDMI cable from my Nvidia 1060 to get the lossless audio along with HDMI of 1060 directly hooked to 4K tv to get the 4k video? Like i mean can my GPU be used both ways with HDMI and display port to HDMI together?