My Acer 4280TG started acting up a few weeks ago. The screen was blanking toward the end of the boot process and a hard shutdown was required. I finally figured out that it was only happening when it was plugged in. It has yet to happen when the boot is done on battery. Sometimes when I plug it in after boot-up, it will continue to work other times it develops a 2-3 inch stripe on the right side (top to bottom) that is made up of small squares of various colors and then it goes blank.
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it would boot up normally.
- If these doesn't work, do check the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also try to boot the laptop without its battery and see if it would work.
- Next is to reseat the RAM if using a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- Another step you may want to try to check if the LCD is okay or not is to connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it.
- And if all these will not work the problem lies inside the motherboard itself.
If your laptop will boot up normally to the desktop do a clean install of the graphics driver. Please do use the link below for the complete step.