Yuroshock

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
So a few days ago I was playing a game and got a couple black screens where I could still hear background music from the game but I couldn't do anything and had to force shutdown. After that I tried updating software and Windows update, ended up downloading the KB 3004394 update. I have since removed that windows update, used the DDU program to remove all AMD drivers. Now when I try installing drivers (tried both 14.12 and 13.4), Device Manager shows 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)'. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers multiple times, both using DDU in between and without. What else can I try? Is my graphics card dead?

Thanks

Specs:
Sager NP9170 / Clevo P170E
Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM
AMD Radeon HD 7970M (2048MB)
8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
Windows 7 SP1

johnnyb105

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Is your system dirty inside have you cleaned out your case and the card lately have you removed the card and re set it? What kind of power supply does your system use? I wouldn't do the 14.12 drivers caused me black screens on my r 290 sapphire card was running perfect before so I am holding off on those drivers have you booted into safe mode??? and can see the screen fine?

Yuroshock

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
Yup, cleaned it out, reseated the card, power supply is whatever is in the laptop. What version of the drivers are you running now then? I'm 99% sure it's using the on board graphics right now since I can use it fine and it doesn't show errors in device manager.