Anonymous Strikes Back: Hits MPAA, RIAA, DoJ, More

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I see anon having as much effect on big Hollywood about as much as the occupy movements had on corporate America. Now if they were to take down a backbone or something...

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
cia.png

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
[citation][nom]MEGAISBACK[/nom]MEGAUPLOAD IS BACK!!!!!http://megaupload.au.tc/[/citation]

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i'm joining their fight right now, on twitter and other outlets. btw megupload site is back up... http://109.236.83.66/[/citation]

Phishing scam????

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I fully expected some hell raising to come due to SOPA/PIPA. Will be interesting in this digital age to see how pissing off the high tech sector will work out for law makers. I have a feeling this is just the start.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Megaupload owners apparently made some $50 Million off the site(s).as much as I am against SOPA; it is understandable that this kind of money is not what a 'free internet' should be about.Kids downloading or sharing a few free songs; no problem.But mass distribution to the tune of $50 Mill... that's not acceptable either of course.[/citation]
they made 50mil of ads and premium accounts. Premium accounts allowed for no download caps and more space. The purpose of the website was to share files online to friends or the general public. there was no censorship of any kind unless a copyright holder claimed infringement and MU took it down. That was not ilegal as they NEVER advertised piracy of any kind or mentioned it ever. It was simply a site for sharing and storage.

websites and servers cost ALOT of money and when a website grows as big as megaupload you need to maintain it alot. the website premium accounts paid for the maintenance. Plus people dont work for free, and they needed people to run the site, and so it became a business. Businesses make money, and MU was very popular, hence how they made the 50mil. Everything I mentioned here is LEGAL.

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
World War 3 will have no physical casualties. It will, however, be completely fought on the internet.

Side note: What money is pirating costing these production companies? (Before flaming, I do not illegally download anything, and will not do so.)

Here is my example: Movie X comes out. 100 people want the movie. 50 people can afford it or are impatient, and buy it the day it comes out. 25 more frugal people wait till it goes on sale. 25 people will 'steal' it. (depends on what time in history for how it is obtained, remember even video tape players came in duel-cassette forms to, uh, copy the movie). Even if every single way to 'pirate' something was removed (which is impossible, and has existed for decades) they just wouldn't get it. The money lost is completely made-up.

Shaun o

Distinguished
I see The internet is the problem now !.
If the truth had to be known the picture is bigger than you all think.
Let me take a step back and make you think here. We talk about SOPA.

How exactly did it get to this stage? In order lets say for example to create a situation for Piracy or the means to commit piracy exist.
If you wanted to protect your intellectual property, be it copy righted, create the means where devices are not duplicated ?. Oh you did, ans sold them by the bucket loads and also created the medium to do so ? You never minded selling the devices, or the medium to allow people to duplicate the content, but did you not give them the means ? Are you not more Guilty of the crime of what you Giving the means for people to infringe copy right ?
In simple terms if you come up with a device or a medium, Do not create a device that allows, a person to miss use it. Where does the buck fall there ? Maybe that is a Question you should ask.
And what you will find is company's being Sued for providing the hardware to allow the ability of miss use.
Now screw your heads on. You see go for the little men, and while there winging, there are your fools.
Like Everything Greed and the ability to make Money.
Till it Back fires. eh!

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
These hacktivists should get a minimum of 20 years and when they come out, should not be allowed near anything more advanced than a toaster! And if they violate that, life!

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]they made 50mil of ads and premium accounts. Premium accounts allowed for no download caps and more space. The purpose of the website was to share files online to friends or the general public. there was no censorship of any kind unless a copyright holder claimed infringement and MU took it down. That was not ilegal as they NEVER advertised piracy of any kind or mentioned it ever. It was simply a site for sharing and storage. websites and servers cost ALOT of money and when a website grows as big as megaupload you need to maintain it alot. the website premium accounts paid for the maintenance. Plus people dont work for free, and they needed people to run the site, and so it became a business. Businesses make money, and MU was very popular, hence how they made the 50mil. Everything I mentioned here is LEGAL.[/citation]
And if that was all there was to it, it'd be legal. However, it's not. There are emails listed as evidence that are in the grand jury indictment where the executives knew that the people they were paying as part of their uploader rewards programs were primarily trafficking in copyrighted works. I highly suggest everyone go and read the indictment before leaping to condemn or defend megaupload, it's not that long (70 pages in federal gov't legal format so quintuple spacing and 7" margins--similar to most college freshman papers). If those emails didn't exist the gov't's case would be pretty weak, but it's pretty clear from the evidence they've gathered from their communications that they knew exactly what they were profiting off of and have no recourse under the 'fair use' portion of the DMCA or some kind of ignorance-based defense.

It's pretty clear to me that megaupload has always been a site with an awful lot of piracy going on and this take-down is hardly surprising. To me, the good news in all this is that this proves the DMCA can be used successfully to take down pirates without the added SOPA/PIPA crap.

Shaun o

Distinguished
maestintaolius.

Yes it is a good point you make, but that comes down to the people that run the service or the Site.
My point is if the devices were not created to allow a medium or a content, to be duplicated , the such a thing a Piracy, or copy right infringement would not exist.
Exactly who is to blame for this?, If you want to be correct, bar content that is uploaded to Megavideo ect. how was the means or the hardware made available to Infringe copyright law let alone, just a user ?, since things will be misused than used the right way ?
Were talking about the ability to provide the means of miss use are we not ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am both anti-PIPA and anti-SOPA. Period.

However, the actions taken by Anonymous will NOT help make this bad legislation go away. But, I do predict their actions will have unintended consequences and will further the image of "bad hackers" for the uninformed masses, including members of Congress.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The fires at the Reichstag allegedly by Communists were the best excuse for A. Hitler to gain unlimited powers in Germany and to send all his opposers to working camps.

As History repeats itself I can't help thinking the Anonymous resemble the German Communists.

Shaun o

Distinguished
I think the whole point of the world is wrong, You see like I have said to a point, should it not be a bigger point for vendors who create a device that allows the content to be duplicated. Given the fact it may be used with good intentions, and a factor as they well not, Do not give us the means to do so simple. Why does that sense not stand, I ask you ?

How blind do you have to be. apparently and end user is at Guilt, or a web site, or up load service that stores it. never minded making money out of it, here is a Hint all you after Pirates, Sue the hell off the people that allowed the devices that were made to allow the end user to do it !, if it did not exist there would be no problem would there, Now tip tip your asses to all the people who made dvd burner drives ect, desptie the end user knowing at some time it would be hacked or miss used.
Giving them the abbility to do do so than simply not creating the option ?

Shaun o

Distinguished
You may bitch about hackers and coders, a virus et. It may piss you off or trash your comp.
But if life has a lesson to say there is always someone smarter than you !, And believe it or not despite
it we learn were not as smart as we think we individualise ourselves.
My point is don't let a creation, or a situation, That in effect like it or not, or you care to admit.
If the hardware did not exist. It would never be miss used to allow the situation.
Like it or not, For or against Piracy, it would not exist if the means to allow it Existed.
Would it.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Taking down websites is a waste of time.

However, a kernal of value in Anonymous' new plan reared its head in this article. The first effective strategy I've seen them employ in an activist sense is the targeting of politicians. Anonymous can and does have the power to mute their voice and ability to reach the masses. To undermine their elect-ability. Knock out those websites. Break them and you break the 'federal government. Because supporting those politicians that do allow internet freedom will keep the handcuffs on the overzealous law enforcement officials and the snowball effect will be more freedom to effectively attack the politicians who do wish to curtail our freedom. Take down their websites. Edit their videos. Hack their phones. Find the skeletons in their closet. Embarrass them in front of the world. Have fun Anonymous. At least you're working for something.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Unless we know these people we'll never know if they are really criminals or if the charges are faked/embellished to get rid of them, the media industry just using the FBI as a secret police to get rid of those perceived as threats to their greedy ambitions.

For all I care Anonymous can blow greed off the face of the internet but DDoS doesn't seem to be the best, most damaging way to do so. If they tore through the computers of these people and got incriminating evidence thrown all over the news then they would be winning a battle. Come on anon, you're smarter than this!!!

On the other hand, Lulzsec is a bunch of a-holes much more often then Anonymous and have done quite a bit of damage to many people's lives even if it happened because those people are so stupid about technology... Lulzsec seems more childish than Anonymous ever does in whom they choose as their targets and I don't like that. Anonymous is supposed to stand up for the people but Lulzsec just fires off at everyone.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
idk who is - shaun o but he is dead on right.
sony owns columbia house a major record label and distributor.
sony also made dual deck cassette recorders
sony also makes cd burners
sony also makes dvd burners
sony also makes the viao computer
sony also made recordable cassettes
sony also made recordable cds
sony also made recordable dvds
sony also made the players to use them.
and they still do to this day.

each and every one of these sony devices allows a person to record and copy anything and the viao computer also connects to the internet and allows you to send and receive anything thru multiple distribution and copy methods.
sony did nothing to block these actions or restrict them or make them a pay per use/view when they made these devices.

if sony doesn't like how they shot themselves in the foot, that is their own fault so stop negativing what shaun o is saying for stating a FACT that is pure truth.

distribution centers for finished audio and video content is no longer needed. the product can be sent once to each store and each store can have a burner make it for you on the spot thru multiple methods.
you don't even have to go to the store you can do it right from your own home.
cable companies proved this back in the 70's with video on demand
record labels and distributors have been obsolete for 40 years, yet they are still trying to flog a dead horse for cash rather then advance into the 21st century with a far better method that is more profitable and has reduced costs to them but much more infinite ways to profit.

they screwed up and aren't taking the hardware & hardware legal approach to fixing it let alone investing in the modern day distribution method like cable companies, itunes, netflix and red box or hulu, youtube or megaupload is.
yet CBS and NBC and other television networks are.
next thing you know sony will be asking for a bail out for failing to adapt in pursuit of obsolete technology and sales methods.
if i was sony's CEO i'd be trying to aggressively buy out a telecommunications company like AT&T to get with the 21st century tech and distribution system
in stead of letting my lawyers talk me into thousands of expensive legal battles that only makes the lawyers richer going after small fish like citizens rather then fight in court with an opponent like samsung hp ibm toshiba and other companies with enough money to fight back and have a good chance at winning based on the current situation and circumstances.
i would also fire any engineer/employee that made it possible to circumvent the company's method of sales and distribution.
sony has done NOTHING to STOP any of this much of which has been done for well over 40 years now.
all these MPAA and RIAA members need to take some advice from ghandi and be the change in the world they wish to see rather then try to keep guttenbergs printing press as the only method for legal copying and distribution.
george lucas paid for an entire movie 'RedTails' and even it's distribution costs all by himself which opens today he had to PAY lionsgate? idr who but some major distribution company to distribute this movie.
if he had been smart and talked to us or anon or software engineers, megaupload, netflix and hulu and cable companies, redbox and used his home computer to make the theaters copies and distribute the copies directly to theater owners he could have cut out every middleman and eliminated the need for corporations like sony.
he could be making those millions more by eliminating all the now unnecessary costs of the middlemen.
but he didn't, and he paid them a huge sum that would make the difference between making money or losing money if this doesn't turn out to be a block buster movie the likes of star wars or avatar.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I only read a portion of your rant-- saying that Sony produced hardware that allows for the copying of IP and thus it is their fault is like saying that gun manufactures are to blame for you shooting someone.

Whether it is easy or hard to copy IP, it is still illegal to do so [outside of personal use liek backups]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS