Anonymous Strikes Back: Hits MPAA, RIAA, DoJ, More

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]I only read a portion of your rant-- saying that Sony produced hardware that allows for the copying of IP and thus it is their fault is like saying that gun manufactures are to blame for you shooting someone.Whether it is easy or hard to copy IP, it is still illegal to do so [outside of personal use liek backups][/citation]

If you only read part of it then you really have no right to call him/her out on anything until you finish reading it. It's not even one page of font, it isn't like you needed to read 40 pages of junk to understand it.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"if i was sony's CEO i'd be trying to aggressively buy out a telecommunications company like AT&T to get with the 21st century tech and distribution system"

Sony market cap, $17B

AT&T $180B
Verizon $110B
Deutsche Telekom [T-mobile] $52B

The only major phone co anywhere near them is Sprint, which lost 90% of it's value in the last 4.5 years and sits at around $6B -- so I suppose now would be a good time to try and pick them up, but they are still worth ~40% of Sony, so I doubt they have enough cash and stock [that they'd want to give up] to really make it happen...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"if i was sony's CEO i'd be trying to aggressively buy out a telecommunications company like AT&T to get with the 21st century tech and distribution system"Sony market cap, $17BAT&T $180BVerizon $110BDeutsche Telekom [T-mobile] $52BThe only major phone co anywhere near them is Sprint, which lost 90% of it's value in the last 4.5 years and sits at around $6B -- so I suppose now would be a good time to try and pick them up, but they are still worth ~40% of Sony, so I doubt they have enough cash and stock [that they'd want to give up] to really make it happen...[/citation]

Well, my primary issue is that the author neglected formatting making it more work to read than it's worth. If the author really cares about his point and wants people to read it, then he should make the effort to present his point in the most ledgible way possible.

In any case my point still stands. Blaming Sony for piracy because they make DVD-RW and media is like blaming Browning, Colt, Remington, etc for gun related murders. I also suppose that Toyota, GM, Ford, Honda, etc should be held accountable for all auto deaths and injuries as well...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DDoS ... yawn, yeah these dopes are really sophisticated -- the Robin Hoods of the world ... your "contribution" is doing nothing for anyone or to anyone anywhere. Most of the servers they claim to successfully attack are just goat servers anyway -- their entire purpose is to trap, locate, and prosecute those that initiate DDoS. This is junior grade stuff ... wait a few days and you'll see these dopes being rounded up on the News or living in China (safe zone) -- an that's punishment enough IMHO.

You folks need to read more on what SOPA and PIPA is about, the actual legislation, not the jaded junk you see printed on Tom's or other web sites.

SOPA and PIPA will be a huge deterrent to Piracy. Why you ask? Because original content companies now have ways (and the rights) to go after you, every single one of you. If you're a thief and steal games and movies and music all the time, then yeah, you don't want SOPA nor PIPA. But for the rest of society who's sick of having to pay for thieves and who's sick of hearing about companies not making movies and/or not making games because of thieves (about 70% of Tom's membership from what I can gather) then you'll support SOPA and PIPA.

The ONLY reason Google don't want SOPA or PIPA is because their search engines can no longer go out to web servers and steal other people's original content and put it on their servers so that Google can make money off it. Content that isn't theirs and doesn't belong to them. What Google does now is consume HUGE amounts of bandwidth going around from web server to web server stealing information. Or let me put it in more tactile terms, how would you feel if someone entered your home every night and went thru all you personal belongings, folders, papers, statements, receipts and made copies of them, left, and put them in a public library for everyone to see?? This IS what Google does 24/7, this IS how Google makes money, off of YOUR information.

Anonymous doesn't even understand the game, they are so lost they're actually working against their own "morality" system. What a bunch of retards.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Google does make copies of a lot of stuff on the internet [cached pages] but that isn't your secret documents, it is copies of stuff that you've already put out on the internet. It's not like they are logging into your bank account and grabbing that data.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Makes no difference, it's NOT THEIRS to copy. Because something is public doesn't not mean it can be copied, duplicated, and put somewhere else without the owner knowing about it. And finally, how do you know they aren't attempting to gather "secret" information? Their "word" they aren't??

Anyway, it looks like the round up of thieves has started with MegaUpload: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10199528-megaupload-founders-homes-raided-5m-in-luxury-cars-seized

Now why would these thieves need guns, drive extensive selection of luxury and sports cars, stacks of cash, etc. etc. -- they're thieves, plan and simple.

More dopes to come.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]DDoS ... yawn, yeah these dopes are really sophisticated -- the Robin Hoods of the world ... your "contribution" is doing nothing for anyone or to anyone anywhere. Most of the servers they claim to successfully attack are just goat servers anyway -- their entire purpose is to trap, locate, and prosecute those that initiate DDoS. This is junior grade stuff ... wait a few days and you'll see these dopes being rounded up on the News or living in China (safe zone) -- an that's punishment enough IMHO.You folks need to read more on what SOPA and PIPA is about, the actual legislation, not the jaded junk you see printed on Tom's or other web sites.SOPA and PIPA will be a huge deterrent to Piracy. Why you ask? Because original content companies now have ways (and the rights) to go after you, every single one of you. If you're a thief and steal games and movies and music all the time, then yeah, you don't want SOPA nor PIPA. But for the rest of society who's sick of having to pay for thieves and who's sick of hearing about companies not making movies and/or not making games because of thieves (about 70% of Tom's membership from what I can gather) then you'll support SOPA and PIPA.The ONLY reason Google don't want SOPA or PIPA is because their search engines can no longer go out to web servers and steal other people's original content and put it on their servers so that Google can make money off it. Content that isn't theirs and doesn't belong to them. What Google does now is consume HUGE amounts of bandwidth going around from web server to web server stealing information. Or let me put it in more tactile terms, how would you feel if someone entered your home every night and went thru all you personal belongings, folders, papers, statements, receipts and made copies of them, left, and put them in a public library for everyone to see?? This IS what Google does 24/7, this IS how Google makes money, off of YOUR information.Anonymous doesn't even understand the game, they are so lost they're actually working against their own "morality" system. What a bunch of retards.[/citation]

We don't like SOPA/PIPA because Tom's could be shut down without notice because of just one troll talking about something they shouldn't or maybe we will be shut down just because a company has a disagreement with us.

And not just Tom's, any other website. Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Youtube, the list goes on... All of these sites only need but one troll and they may disappear. SOPA/PIPA are extremely wrong and infringe on all of our rights for freedom of speech. Piracy is not a right but really... Are you stupid enough to think that pirates won't find a way around this, maybe even before it is put into action? All they would need to do is start up a few darknets and stuff will be unaccountably running up again, you know you can't arrest someone using something that can't be accessed in order to track anything.

That's only one solution for the pirates. SOPA/PIPA will kill freedom on the internet and censure it like China yet it won't kill off piracy... Nay, it might even increase illegal activity.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
The argument that Sony is not responsible at all for piracy done with their own products because Toyota, Honda, GM, etc aren't responsible for vehicular deaths isn't quite right. Sony isn't the big problem here it is the media companies themselves. If they truly want to stop piracy without infringing on our rights then they need to come up with a truly ingenious DRM technology. There are solutions but they would be so difficult for the media corporations to implement that they won't bother trying because they would rather screw with us out of their greed.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Thanks F-14, you see youplay the game!, money and cash and profit, but you never like to admit your partly due to the cause of a situation, and if the world was true, daft asses would not make a device that allows an end user,or any Joe to do do do it copy a medium, the first part of protection. ! . You guys may or not like it !, but if the means were not provided to do it, be yourself honest !. If not for Money. Who shot them self in the foot providing the means to do it ? Come one Think Guys/ And Girls. Oh yes your to blame!, if your honest or not. Full of Shit Like it or not, Pass the book on !

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Agree, it will not Kill piracy, I never said it would. I said "SOPA and PIPA will be a huge deterrent to Piracy." A deterrent is just that, it's not a end to theft or people continuing to steal -- that has and will always happen. BUT, it will greatly reduce the problem to the point where we might even start to see the return of more quality movies and games and music without DRM. Private networks (VPNs - or Darknet as you like to say) are not immune, far from it, even encrypted ones ... if you meant to say Dark Internet that uses very old routers and protocols such as MILNET using Arpanet which is where many DDoS are setup then I can assure you these are of little interest to the likes Sony or other companies looking for theft of their intellectual property. DDoS are for the most part completely irrelevant, they really do nothing other than maybe stop working functionality for a few minutes until blocked. DDoS are done by hackers seeking fame, in fact, it's not really hacking.

A troll is not going to kill those sites, that's just try to drum up fear where none exists.

How do you think Crytek determine that they had 4 million pirated copies out there ;)

What greed?? Look at the Credits list for Crysis 2 ... there were close to 1000 people involved in the production of that product -- giving people jobs is a bad thing??? Crysis 2 provided a work case 5-7 hours of entertainment but for some but the average user logged 60 hours of entertainment ... so assume one paid $60 for the game, on average $1/hr of entertainment ... you consider that "Greed"???

Shaun o

Distinguished
rosen380
Fair point, But did you calculate at some point, it would be miss used ? Like it or not, dont create the device with the means to do it., and while were on the the subject Rosen, are you guilty of it as much as me !. Your answer is a flat No.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Shaun o[/nom]rosen380Fair point, But did you calculate at some point, it would be miss used ? Like it or not, dont create the device with the means to do it., and while were on the the subject Rosen, are you guilty of it as much as me !. Your answer is a flat No.[/citation]

The darknets I referred too aren't VPN but physical networks. Hard to get in if they aren't part of the internet in the first place, you would need another route in and it would be extremely hard to do it without the help of it's administrators and you wouldn't even know it is there. Can't track a network that isn't connected to anything you have access to.

If I get an Ethernet crossover cable between two computers that aren't connected to the internet there is absolutely no way to track what goes on. Same concept except on a larger scale, several groups are working on implementing such networks.

ken-skead

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
This legislation has nothing to do with copyrights or profit, but is a power grab by the power and control freaks in Washington DC. Vote the power and control freaks out of office.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Agree, it will not Kill piracy, I never said it would. I said "SOPA and PIPA will be a huge deterrent to Piracy." A deterrent is just that, it's not a end to theft or people continuing to steal -- that has and will always happen. BUT, it will greatly reduce the problem to the point where we might even start to see the return of more quality movies and games and music without DRM. Private networks (VPNs - or Darknet as you like to say) are not immune, far from it, even encrypted ones ... if you meant to say Dark Internet that uses very old routers and protocols such as MILNET using Arpanet which is where many DDoS are setup then I can assure you these are of little interest to the likes Sony or other companies looking for theft of their intellectual property. DDoS are for the most part completely irrelevant, they really do nothing other than maybe stop working functionality for a few minutes until blocked. DDoS are done by hackers seeking fame, in fact, it's not really hacking.A troll is not going to kill those sites, that's just try to drum up fear where none exists.How do you think Crytek determine that they had 4 million pirated copies out there What greed?? Look at the Credits list for Crysis 2 ... there were close to 1000 people involved in the production of that product -- giving people jobs is a bad thing??? Crysis 2 provided a work case 5-7 hours of entertainment but for some but the average user logged 60 hours of entertainment ... so assume one paid $60 for the game, on average $1/hr of entertainment ... you consider that "Greed"???[/citation]

Actually I have no complaints on Crysis or it's creators, they seem fair people. But many other groups aren't so good especially in the music/TV businesses. Ubisoft is a prime example of the crap that some game makers try but overall I think the video game industries are better about this than the other forms of media. Ubisoft tells me that I can't upgrade my computer more than three times after installing their games or their games will no longer work until they are reactivated. Do I want to pay to reactivate a game after upgrading my computer? Not a chance. Of course instead of pirating their games I just don't play them but some people get more pissed when a game they like suddenly doesn't work after getting a new video card.

Besides all that, yes anyone can kill a site by trolling about something that a certain company dislikes enough. As said earlier by another poster, a company that dislikes a site could even go as far as to have someone plant garbage and then get the site brought down over it. Sure it's not likely but it is a possibility and to deny that this can happen is intentionally being ignorant. You seem intelligent to me, just think about the possibilities.

I also agree that DDoS really isn't an effective weapon. If these hackers want to do something that utilizes their hacking skills then they need to take incriminating evidence and throw it into the public eyes. Of course this is still illegal so I can't officially endorse this and I won't have any part in it, I won't help them but I will watch from the side lines and won't impede them either.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Makes no difference, it's NOT THEIRS to copy. Because something is public doesn't not mean it can be copied, duplicated, and put somewhere else without the owner knowing about it. And finally, how do you know they aren't attempting to gather "secret" information? Their "word" they aren't??Anyway, it looks like the round up of thieves has started with MegaUpload: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_ne [...] ars-seizedNow why would these thieves need guns, drive extensive selection of luxury and sports cars, stacks of cash, etc. etc. -- they're thieves, plan and simple.More dopes to come.[/citation]

You ask why they "need" luxury cars and the like? Well why do so many people want them, why do people want to eat $20 steaks instead of green beans from a can? Them having cool stuff isn't a good reason to dislike them.

If they are really criminals then that is a reason to dislike them but we don't know who they are or if they really are criminals. I assume that neither of us saw them do anything or found incriminating evidence, we only know what we have been told they did, not what they did. I'm not endorsing them but you know, maybe they're criminals, maybe they're not.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]They exalted themselves to the level of Almighty and then thought they could decide what is right and what is wrong. They might do a little bit of good, but they do far more harm than the little good they actually do. They are wanna-be anarchists who then try to create order the way "they" want it.[/citation]

err... is not it what the governments do in the first place? In case you did not notice... LOL!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Blaming Sony for piracy because they make DVD-RW and media is like blaming Browning, Colt, Remington, etc for gun related murders.[/citation] Brought to you by the same people that tried to expedite the CEO of a cannibus seed dealer in Canada when Canada itself won't even formally charge him for selling cannibus seeds it's akin to Canada expediting the CEO of colt because they sold guns that were illegally sold and shipped into Canada.

Then the government goes on to talk about how bad cannibus is and calling it a poison on society meanwhile shipping actual poison to Canada and throughout the US in the form of tobacco.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]Brought to you by the same people that tried to expedite the CEO of a cannibus seed dealer in Canada when Canada itself won't even formally charge him for selling cannibus seeds it's akin to Canada expediting the CEO of colt because they sold guns that were illegally sold and shipped into Canada.Then the government goes on to talk about how bad cannibus is and calling it a poison on society meanwhile shipping actual poison to Canada and throughout the US in the form of tobacco.[/citation]

Tobacco products are possibly the most poisonous legal thing we can have. It's even legal to grow your own tobacco but chances are that it's legal because it's a difficult plant to grow.

Tobacco is also so heavily taxed that the government can't allow it to go away, it is probably a huge source of income.

Status
Not open for further replies.