Anonymous Strikes Back: Hits MPAA, RIAA, DoJ, More

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
When games came out, there were no connections and no way to update things. Now we have direct ways to connect a game to whatever the developer wants. Once the game is out there, it's a free-for-all. Why not invest money in getting people to connect back to the developer, and charge them for it. (Additional storyline/bonus items/customisation/mmo)

One more thing, given the huge network of torrents etc. It's essentially FREE hosting bandwidth. It's a wonder why these companies can't tap into this free distribution source and find another method of cashing in on their efforts.

I mean, distribute a new game over Torrents(say MW3, loads of people will be keen), then simply sell a cd-key on your website, the cost to you is hosting a website to sell keys, add in to that money off for Keys to the helpful people of the internet seeding your content. Offer continual upgrades, and people will keep coming back, at which point you can check if they have their stuff legitamately.

Working together, and people will pay you out of respect. I imagine those with consoles know full well they are being ripped off for every single penny you can squeeze. Listen to the CEO for activision for example.

In summary, there are plenty of ways to make money from a product but what worked in the 50's doesn't translate well to now. After all, we don't still barter for things using cows.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Pay you out of respect." hahahahaha ... yeah right! What planet are you from?

Some of you are just F'in nuts??!? Your "logic" process if positively scary ... Sony and the sale/transport of cannibus is somehow related? Errrrr....perhaps if you stopped smoking so much of it you wouldn't see the connect between Sony and Cannibus at all, OMFG.

Where do you people come from?? Do you live in little caves somewhere and cover yourself with tin foil?

And this Shaun O dude, can anyone actually understand him?

I'm glad to see some of you think the folks that worked 14-16 hours days for 2 years at Crytek are "fair" people ... so why are you stealing from them?

DDoS attacks are just lame, get a life!

What does the 50's have to do with this? Stealing is stealing, you get something without paying for it ... that's theft, stop trying to justify it, you folks that support theft are criminals. Your choices are A - not buy, B - buy it, C - steal it. You can spew whatever verbal diarrhea you want about governments, CEO, Sony, Cannibus, but that doesn't change that you've stolen something and your a thief.

Man (or woman up) and accept responsibility for your actions, I so sick of people moaning poor poor poor me ... waaa waaa ... then turn around and ask questions about adding a 1500 Watt PSU to your $5000 overclocked crossfire PC. Here is a thought, maybe if you folks hadn't spent all your money on a PC, you could afford to buy all the games you claim you hate yet finish the campaigns and still play online.

Whatever, you tools supporting theft are just that, tools.

G

BLACK MARCH
Thursday, March 1st to Saturday, March 31st, 2012

With the continuing campaigns for Internet-censoring legislation such as SOPA and PIPA, the closure of sites such as Megaupload under allegations of ‘piracy’ and ‘conspiracy’, the time has come to take a stand against music, film, and media companies’ lobbyists.

The only way is to hit them where it hurts.
Their profit margins.

March 2012 is the end of the 1st quarter in economic reports worldwide.

Do not buy a single record. Do not download a single song, legally or illegally. Do not go see a single film in cinemas, or download a copy. Do not buy a DVD in the stores. Do not buy a videogame. Do not buy a single book or magazine.

Wait the four weeks to buy them in April; see the film later, etc. Holding out for just four weeks, maximum, will leave a gaping hole in media and entertainment companies’ profits for the 1st quarter, an economic hit which will in turn be observed by governments worldwide as stocks and shares will blip from a large enough loss of incomes.

This action will give a statement of intent:

“We will not tolerate the Media Industries’ lobbying for legislation which will censor the internet.”

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]"Pay you out of respect." hahahahaha ... yeah right! What planet are you from?Some of you are just F'in nuts??!? Your "logic" process if positively scary ... Sony and the sale/transport of cannibus is somehow related? Errrrr....perhaps if you stopped smoking so much of it you wouldn't see the connect between Sony and Cannibus at all, OMFG.Where do you people come from?? Do you live in little caves somewhere and cover yourself with tin foil?And this Shaun O dude, can anyone actually understand him?I'm glad to see some of you think the folks that worked 14-16 hours days for 2 years at Crytek are "fair" people ... so why are you stealing from them?DDoS attacks are just lame, get a life!What does the 50's have to do with this? Stealing is stealing, you get something without paying for it ... that's theft, stop trying to justify it, you folks that support theft are criminals. Your choices are A - not buy, B - buy it, C - steal it. You can spew whatever verbal diarrhea you want about governments, CEO, Sony, Cannibus, but that doesn't change that you've stolen something and your a thief.Man (or woman up) and accept responsibility for your actions, I so sick of people moaning poor poor poor me ... waaa waaa ... then turn around and ask questions about adding a 1500 Watt PSU to your $5000 overclocked crossfire PC. Here is a thought, maybe if you folks hadn't spent all your money on a PC, you could afford to buy all the games you claim you hate yet finish the campaigns and still play online.Whatever, you tools supporting theft are just that, tools.[/citation]

I guarantee you that VERY few Tom's readers have a $5000 machine... Most of us probably spent between $600 and $1200. Besides that, it's not always the price of something that causes it to be pirated although that is a common factor. You, the one supporting the corrupt side of this problem, seem to be the tool here. At least we will discuss the morals and ramifications of our actions to decide the best possible courses of action but you just come here and start trolling.

I have a $275 laptop for most of my usage and a $600 desktop for anything that needs more power so I don't have this monstrously expensive machine you seem to think I have. And before anyone calls me a criminal let me just say I don't have any games installed on my computers be they legal or otherwise.

Furthermore, it is absolutely our choice if we want to not buy it, buy it, or pirate it, or anything else. There really are legitimate reasons for pirating. Don't call it simple stealing. The 50s were mentioned because back then you couldn't turn something into two of the same thing at the touch of a button. You can just copy any media you want be it a video, picture, MP3, anything like that if you want. The media industries are attempting to treat everything like we were in previous decades. They even claim that if I buy an MP3 from Itunes or Amazon that it isn't even mine. If I buy a CD and a few years later decide I want to sell it then I can do that but they claim I can't do that with a single song. Face it, some of these people are bigger crooks than any digital pirate.

However, the video game industry tends to be better than the music and TV industries about this. There are many fewer games where I see a problem that could make piracy a considerable option for most people than when it comes to downloading a movie or a song.

Status
Not open for further replies.