Anyone interested in class action suit against HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabuthefuture

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
First needed: enough people disatisfied enough with good reason to be with an HP computer.

Second needed: person able to create a You Tube video titled HP Class Action Suit Applications

Third: Seek out effective legal team to begin legal action

Fourth: Patience

Fifth: Euphoric feeling as HP Goliath bows to David

frozenlead

Distinguished
You can't just sue someone because you're dissatisfied with a product. You actually need a reason to sue them - either you got hurt, or you believe you were sold something you didn't actually get. Furthermore, everyone in the lawsuit has to have the same problem as you, not just a grievance.

mikeavic

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I have evidence showing that HP has programmed their ink cartridges to fail soon after installation. The cartridges are printed with warrenty date on them. The cartridges give error messages regarding such and the printer is totally disabled soon after - rendering it useless. I have, in the past, installed new cartridges in the printer even though the old cartridges have not been in long nor used enough to be low level - I then swapped them out with the old cartridges and gotten more than a hundred extra prints from the old cartridges (with the printer thinking they are still the new cartridges). This is a consumer rip-off and HP service has told me I need a new printer when it is obviously a software program to make users buy more ink.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I've owned HP printers all my life (upwards of 10 of them) and never encountered this problem. I don't know how you can validate that without the code itself, too. Computers are quirky and have odd malfunctions sometimes. I think you need more research into your problem to rule out the possibility of a malfunction before you jump to conclusions.

And you should probably take apart a few cartridges, to see how they work. If you haven't at least done that, I wouldn't even bother calling a lawyer.

repair rabbit

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I have performed postmortems onn dead ink carts and these devices are simple and really hard to fail.
Most problems are resulted from improperly storing the carts and the ink will dry to a paste.
There is no need for a smart chip.
HP Tech no support told me it was imposable to bypass the ink expiration message and resulting refusal to print.
I told No support that the chip is not GOD , its just the messenger and it is the driver that controls the printer.
That chip just carries the date of manufacture. Here is a good example when the printer is off line and you print a demo sheet, or align the print heads, menu tree, configuration page , ect. with expired Ink cartridges, IT PRINTS FLAWLESSLY. Go online or install the printerdriver and suddenly the printer refuses to print because the ink has expired.
I just returned from Iraq with a Business inkjet 2800 and I let it sit for a few months before using it again, I had to replace the print heads because I had let them dry out (diddnt mean to) That cost $160.00 The ink Cartrages have over 75% ink in them and after I installed the printer on to my server it startes screaming about expired ink carts! even a brand new black ink cart (Bought the same time as the other carts) was expired.
By turning back the Date of my Printer server by 1 year I was able to use that expired ink.
I Vote for a Class Action Lawsuit.
Regards
Repair Rabbit

tahnee

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

what about if we sue because we didnt recieve cashback on our purchases? this has happened to me and apparently im not the only one..

Dahvious

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I've had old HP printers where you could remove the chips off the ink cartridges, buy dummy chips to replace them that if they do expire or the chips says it's out you can reset so it thinks it's full again and get out every last drop out of the cartridge.

Angry User

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I am a computer novice who purchased a HP Pavillion notebook HDX9010NR. It was an upgraded $3000 computer with a 20" screen to use with the 3 dimensional imaging program to use in home demonstrations. It was sparingly used. About 1 yr. after purchase, while doing an HP diagnostic check, it was recommended to due a bios update. This bios update basically fried my computer. The HP rep "allowed me" to return it for a no charge repair. It came back, it did not respond properly to wireless keyboard and mouse, an HP online diagnostic check diagnosed a couple of HP program upgrades, as well as the bios upgrade. It fried the computer again. This time the telephone teck copped to the fact that even though there is no warning on the program upgrade, the upgrade was not compatible with my computer. Thanks. I lost a semester of school, the $1,000 rental of my 3d program, and the clients who paid to see their work on screen. I have just opened the box and plugged in the computer after it's 3rd repair. The battery light will not come on and the computer itself will not switch on. I am taking it to Best Buy to have them fix it and then sue HP.

G

I have a DV9700 Pavillion motherboard dead after 14 months out of warrenty?
i will with pleassure join a class action

motherofhope

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I have a DV9700 Pavillion motherboard dead after 14 months out of warrenty?
i will with pleassure join a class action

There is a 24 month extended warranty enhancement that should cover your laptop. It's buried on the HP website. It is a KNOWN hardware problem.

Now for me, who has had my laptop more than 24 months, I was told too bad. They offered me $200 to fix it plus shipping & taxes. Several models have the same problem. I'm all for joining a class action lawsuit. They knowingly shipped faulty computers. I was told that emails were sent that was probably caught by spam filters. They should have sent via postal mail. Now I have a $1000 piece of junk that contains photos & videos of my kids that I may not be able to recover.

If your motherboard is fried, that has nothing to do with your data that is stored on you HDD. You can probably pull the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to your desktop or another laptop and be able to retrieve your data.

I'm not sure why you guys feel entitled to money for hard ware that is out of warranty. If you buy a short warranty and don't bother to renew it (especially since you say this is a KNOWN problem) then you are shooting yourselves in the foot. If you knew there was an issue with that particular laptop and still bought it or only went with a short warranty, you did it to yourself. Deal with it.

motherofhope

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
If I had known it were an issue, I never would have bought the laptop. They are not advertising that this is an issue. DUH!

It is known to HP. However, HP has buried this info on their website. I don't want money, I want them to stand behind their product & fix it. Which they won't do without additional cost to me. I've spent over a year searching for the solution. Even calling HP tech support. I was told to remove the battery, unplug & hold down the power key for a minute, then try again. Apparently from all the forum posts that I have read, this is what they have been telling people. IF tech support can keep people busy with temporary fixes until warranties run out, then they don't have to eat the cost of fixing the faulty equipment that they sold.

Class action lawsuits are not about money. It's about big business admitting fault & backing their products. Most times the only way to get them to do this is to hit them where it hurts.

I understand your frustration, really I do. I've owned several prebuilts from Dell (most of which were flawless) and have worked with serveral HP's including my GF's whose motherboard fried.

But the problem is that dang warranty. No company is going to replace parts without charging you if your warranty is expired. Dell works the same way and so does Sager. Both companies in fact will charge you even just to talk to tech support once your warranty is up. They do that to encourage you to buy the more expensive extended warranties.

I can't say I understand why HP was giving you the run around and just didn't replace the motherboard. My brother's motherboard in his Dell Inspiron 9300 fried twice and both times they came to him and replaced it. Then again Dell is also the one who released a stupid BIOS "fix" when all of those NVidia cards were going bad.

I didn't mean to come down hard on you in my post, but a couple of the guys before you were clearly just looking for money. People will sue for just about anything these days. lol.

activsagi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I've just found out about the motherboard issue! I own 3 hp laptops, and one just encountered the motherboard issue last night. Here's why I think this issue is worthy of class action:
1) HP has been aware of this problem for several years
2) The internet is full of feedback from thousands of people affected by this defect. It is the same part that is consistently failing. It is well documented.
3) Knowing their product was defective, HP should have issued a recall, or given an open ended window to repair this specific problem whenever their defective part finally gave out. Instead they quietly offered an extra year to fix computers that were no longer working. If your computer encountered this defect one day after the extended warranty, tough!
4) As HP has been made keenly aware of this defect by innumerable complaints and news articles, they cannot claim ignorance of this matter.
5) Selling a defective product and then telling the consumer to bite the bullet should not be tolerated.

Class action or not, selling defective products is not a wise long term business strategy. Slowly but surely the word will get out and about.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Do any of you have a source detailing the motherboard problem you're talking about? There are thousands of factors that can lead to a motherboard defect, and only a small portion of them are the manufacturer's responsibility. Also, a motherboard defect running years? No, no. A computer company doesn't use the same architecture for a motherboard for years. That's nonsense.

activsagi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
You have a valid question, Frozenlead. Remember, my laptop crashed only a day ago, so my research is very preliminary, but here are a few links I've dug up so far. Seem to cover multiple years. Just to clarify, the problem specifically deals with a malfunctioning wireless card and/or screen that originates with a defective motherboard.

HP's own website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify
-----------------------
HP Pavilion DV6000 Laptop Wireless Failure - HP Says 1 in 7 Affected

http://www.ilovebonnie.net/2008/05/10/hp-pavilion-dv6000-laptop-wireless-failure-hp-says-1-in-7-affected/
-----------------------------------
HP Pavilion DV6000 Wireless Failure/Video Failure (XP Related?)

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1247268799481+28353475&threadId=1180076
-------------------------------------
Big Problems with Wireless in HP Pavilion Notebooks

http://www.pcmech.com/article/big-problems-with-wireless-in-hp-pavilion-notebooks/
------------------------------------
Folow up: HP admits to problems with Pavilion notebooks and tries to help. But is it enough?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=863

rattlermorg

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Rattlermorg, here. I have a Pavillion dv9700 and the mother board went out after just 10 months. Still under warrantee!!!! Whoopie....I sent it to HP and, of course, they called back saying that there was "residue" on the mother board, itself, and to no surprise that voided my warranty. I am the only one that uses this laptop and "I NEVER spilt anything on the computer". I knew when I sent it that I would get something back so they would not fix it. Oh, also, they told me it would cost $479.00 to repair out of warrantee. I told them...NO!!! Then they actually said that they would be happy to send it back to me...FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! I told them that that would be sooooo great of them. I would be glad to add my name to any such lawsuit...thanks...Steve

stickmann100

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

I just read a quote from an HP tech person saying they estimate tha 1 in 7 of the dv 6000, dv9000 are affected by the faulty motherboard situation, all within 2 yrs of purchase...is that reason enough???

activsagi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
An update on my situation: To make a long story short, after fruitless interactions with HP over the phone and by internet chat, I decided to email the CEO of HP. Basically I said to him much the same as what I have said in this thread. I had a reply within two days, and a day or two latter a UPS box arrived at my house for me to send in my laptop. No cost for shipping and no cost for repair. Two days later my laptop was shipped back and is once again fully functional.

The good:
-Kudos to the CEO and Exec Team for responding to my email. My laptop was 2 years out of warranty and I guess they could have just ignored me.
-It was a nice touch that they even paid for shipping. I was impressed.
-Extremely prompt and efficient service once the ball got rolling.

The bad:
-There must be considerable truth to the word on the net about defective motherboards. I don't think HP would have agreed to fix my laptop out of the kindness of their heart.
-HP support (both phone and chat) should be instructed to be more flexible when dealing with customers experiencing the symptoms of a defective motherboard - namely wireless card and or screen stop functioning.
-There should have been a recall on the affected products to save customers the hassles that they are clearly experiencing from reading threads like this one and web sites on the topic.
-Talking to HP support was very frustrating.

Thanks HP for this one, but I'm worried about my other two HP laptops. Will they encounter the same defect, and will another email to the CEO be required?

Status
Not open for further replies.