Asus Gaming Laptop, Display not working external and internal have a question regarding this appreciate any help!

Graham_13

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
So I am pretty fluent in repairing laptops as I used to work for a company that got all the student/teacher's broken laptops and we would have to fix them, mostly dell and HP , but some other brands, so I know how to run on board diagnostics etc, but without a display obviously cant run diag so don't know what problem is, here's what I'm thinking though,,,

I removed the laptop screen and checked the connection from the screen to the laptop unplugged and re-plugged it in , i tried connecting to it an external display via HDMI. Nothing appears on the screen. Asus gaming laptops are known to overheat and I know he never bought a cooling pad. I'm thinking the video cards gotta be bad , because the motherboard lights on the front of the laptop still light up which signals the motherboard is getting power because it flashes on and it flashes it's reading the battery on the three LED lights on the front of the laptop.

Does anyone agree with me or is there anymore diagnostics that I can perform for him before I tell him my opinion ( I don't think its worth buying a new video card for because if I install the video card and it still does not work that's pointless) I'm trying to pinpoint this problem I can provide any pictures needed or perform anything anyone suggests, but I'm really thinking it's a video card issue.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you guys are always my #1 forum to go to when I can't figure out the problem!!

Solution

Graham_13

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I know, I just feel bad for my friend, he thought it was the screen so obv told him i could order him a new one for like 60$ , but is it even worth trying to buy a video card when its not even 100% the video card ? although im 90% sure it is.

While it would be nice to know the exact model name of the ASUS (and how old it is), I have to say it does seem to be a problem with the GPU, especially if you can't get video signals to an external monitor.

See if you can access the BIOS in any way - search for an online manual for this particular laptop to see if this is actually possible - does this ASUS have some kind of recovery button (like Lenovos)? If not, you really have no way of establishing if it's the GPU or the screen. And $60 is a lot to pay for a 'stab in the dark'.

Of course, if you have the time, you could go through the usual 'layman's steps', such as:
a) checking the RAM modules,
b) applying new thermal paste to both the CPU and the GPU,
c) resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution