Asus K55VM no post, no fan, no hdd, no screen

ASUSk55vm

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
My Asus K55VM is a core i7 3670QM & NVidia 630M with Windows 8.1 and Elementary OS running on it. Everything was fine, then one day it decided not to boot up any more.

When I press the power button, only the LED on the power button and a LED on the front panel glows and nothing happens after that. No sound from fans or HDD. Display also stays dead. Optical drive also stays dead. Caps Lock/Num Lock not responsive. No signs of life other than the 2 LEDs.

Apart from that, I cannot power it off by long pressing the power button. The battery needs to be removed to power it off.

I have tried the discharge method to reset it, by removing the batteries and the pressing the power button for 2 mins. This does not work.

My laptop is almost 2 years old now. I never had any issues with it. My software and drivers are always updated. I never had it opened up. So, the insides maybe very dirty now.

I have read some related posts in this forum, they had some signs of life on their machines, some clues, mine is completely dead.

I need this forum's comments before I decide to open it up myself or take it to the ASUS service centre.

ASUSk55vm

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
Finally got the time to try all this.

1. Charger is fine. I checked got it checked with a multimeter.
2. It has 2 RAM sticks, tried all the variations, no effect.

Apart from that, I tried a few things I read on other posts in the forum
1. Tried booting booting without the HDD, no effect
2. Removed and reinserted the BIOS battery, no effect.
3. There were no indicator LEDs inside the case or on the board, so could not make any conclusions there.
4. Opened up the whole thing and cleaned it. It was definitely dirty, but not too much.

Apart from that, mobo looks fine, I don't know what a burnt mobo looks like.
I think, the problem is with the power supply to the board, though I am not sure.

The CPU is one of the more unlikely components to fail unless people are swapping it around and reseating it. Anything can happen though, lots of little microscopic connections, electricity going through and heating up components, a tiny thing can break and it's over.

ASUSk55vm

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
That is what I thought, how can the CPU fail just like that, when the mobo and rest of the things are fine. It's the first time the laptop has been opened up. There's no chance of any physical damage. Plus I never push my system to it's limits, and I always have a cooling pad underneath. Now I am just plain confused.

lokiji

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
i hv k55vm in 2012 and its giving me so much trouble its such a crappy crappy laptop build, only processor is good. since the processor is great i dont wana throw or sell even though i have lots of overheating issue where laptop completely fails and instant shut down. and it doesnt have support for win 8.1, i install w8.1 once but since its not oficialy suported theres driver issues causing more problems so i switch back windows 8. windows 10 is too good compare to older windows, lets hope we get win 10 support. To not get those problems u have you have to use only intel graphics and use windows 7 or 8.

ANYONE WHO HAVE asus k55vm PLEASE GIVE lots of COMPLAIN in asus website to ADD WINDOWS 10 support.

ASUSk55vm

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

I have used Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 builds all worked fine. I never had any issues with drivers or anything. Though I had a few hiccups with some linux distros, some version of Anteragos and Ubuntu.

Nicolas Giacconi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
I have an Asus k55vm and the performance with Windows 10 is horrible. The processor fan is not working, and the temperature starys to raise until I need to power off the laptop. All the drivers are updated, and I dont have response from the Asus Support service... They need to kmprove the drivers, I necer had these problems before...

justkryptonitex

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
I hav the similar issue. I've been trying to get it repaired since an year.its still in the same condition. Can I get your contact number so that I could ring you and talk about this. Thank you