May 16, 2018
Disclaimer: I've seen this issue posted last year and back then the temperature was the issue. I already ran realtemp and my temps are fine.

I'm on an Asus laptop running Win10 Home 64-bit and mainly when I run video's from YouTube (Chrome and Firefox, browser makes no difference) or from my Plex client the laptop will just shutdown without warning. Sometimes right when I start the video, other times after a while. So, one minute all is normal, then next it just dies on me. When I reboot the laptop, Windows acts like nothing's the matter. No chkdsk advice or whatever. I already reset the laptop to factory settings and that didn't solve the issue either. Since then nothing of note was installed except the browsers, the Plex client, Kodi and my cloud clients Synology Drive and pCloud Drive.

I do remember dropping this thing once. But that was months ago, and this issue arose recently. Could that drop still have caused this problem? I don't know how to find out what is going on with this thing.

Solution
No I was not talking about that. That is a more serious one.

I am talking about pressing the 'windows' key to launch the start menu. Then in the search box type "System Restore" (without quotes). It should then be the first option in the list that comes up. Click on that and then go through the process there. Choosing a restore point prior to any recent changes that occurred just before this problem started.

This will not erase files on the computer, however anything installed since the change will be no longer installed.
Sounds like a GPU issue. While I know you said it doesn't seem to be overheating, some GPUs have much lower heat tolerance than others.

To be sure it is the GPU and not other things, first try using "System Restore" to restore the computer to a point prior to the problem starting. This way, if you added anything that is the cause, it would be removed. Should it still continue, then try updating your video drivers.

If that also does not resolve the problem, then I would ask if you are using the integrated graphics or not? If not, I would switch back to the integrated and see if it happens then. Should it work fine while on that, no shut down, then the GPU is the problem.

May 16, 2018
Thanks for your input. I've already done the System Restore that's built into Windows 10 (Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings. I chose to Remove everything.) Is that the reset you're referring to or is there a more thorough one I can try?

I checked and am using the integrated graphics.

In the meantime I'm downloading and installing the latest drivers for the GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4400), hoping that will have a positive effect.

No I was not talking about that. That is a more serious one.

I am talking about pressing the 'windows' key to launch the start menu. Then in the search box type "System Restore" (without quotes). It should then be the first option in the list that comes up. Click on that and then go through the process there. Choosing a restore point prior to any recent changes that occurred just before this problem started.

This will not erase files on the computer, however anything installed since the change will be no longer installed.

Solution