originalwill

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
I received a blue screen yesterday and upon restart, the laptop only boots into the BIOS.

In the SATA Configurations page, no hardware is shown. (I suspect faulty hdd).

I tried to USB boot into linux to backup my files but even through starting up linux, the screen stays black after hearing some noise every 2 seconds from inside.

tl;dr I cannot boot into stock OS (Windows 10 64bit) or USB boot into Linux (Mint 17) to check on my hard drive. Therefore is the hard drive even the problem? How to fix?

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016

Errrrr,more info on that please,if linux passes the bios screen then it does boot up but is unable to boot all the way into the desktop.
What kind of noise?If it's a sort of klanging noise it could very well be the broken disk,linux might be searching for available disks to show you when it reaches the desktop but since it fails can't proceed or it will just take very long untill it finally does.
Linux also probably has some comands so it won't look for drives while booting up.

originalwill

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

Linux shows the boot option (Run Mint Cinnamon 64bit or compatibility mode), after selecting which version, it goes black screen and nothing happens.

The sound it makes it kind of like a zipper. It makes a sound for about half a second, wait another half second and then repeates itself over and over while booting.