SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
Now I have picked few products but I have trouble deciding which one of them is best. I really wanted a product with a sub-woofer and one of them does not have one but it has amazing reviews.

Please see what I have pre-selected and advise me which of those is the best:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-Solo-TV-Soundbar-System/d...

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-ht-mt300-bluetooth-nfc-c...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-BlasterX-Katana-Multi...

Thank you,

AnonymousAndy

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
Are you comfortable buying used? You could get sound bar systems with external sub that go for 300+ new, for the price you're looking for.

SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Nah I did not want to spend more than £200 also I have learned not to buy used electronics. The ones above appear to hit many top 10 lists especially the Bose Samsung and Sony ones they are always somewhere on the list. Bose is a good trusted company but my only issue with Bose set is that it does not have sub woofer.

What's the rest of your setup ??

Including what the bar will be sat on .

& your room size, seating position in relation to screen/soundbar etc.

Honestly impossible to choose from that list mate without knowing the specifics.

There are scenario's where that bose could be a better option than a bar with a wireless sub

SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Well i have space if that is the question of where i will place it and it would be directly under the TV rather behind it slightly. Room size medium I should say don't know the measurements. My issue with Bose is that long long time ago i had speakers without sub and it wasnt ever as good as the ones with sub. I am not talking about clarity but about the bass effect.

I just want to know which of these is the best I narrowed it down to Bose Sony and Samsung but still can't make my mind.

Well it wouldn't be the bose mate , if you were going no sub then the yamaha yas 105 & 306 are both better for less money.

The Sony goes louder ,looks nicer (imo) but has a narrower soundstage than the Samsung.

The Samsung has a better range inputs (including hdmi/arc), full dolby decoding & 4k pass through & a wider soundstage (mainly because the bar is twice as long)

For me personally , out of that list it would be the Samsung.

My local tesco superstore has one of these on display , if you have one near you they may have one too you can have a proper play around with.

SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

EDIT: I dont know what happened but i couldnt see my reply above wrote it all again but then i realised my reply is above lol

I use my 55 inch curved Samsung 4k HDR TV for gaming on my PC but also for watching amazon prime and other content on my PC. I have old PC speakers but I was thinking to replace them with a soundbar that would be connected to the TV and I would use TV's speakers (soundbar in this case) as my audio output for my PC as well. (SImply as my TV is connected via HDMI to my GPU so it would carry over the sound).

Seating position is directly on the front of the TV. Room size is medium hard to give exact measurements as i dont know them. the soundbar would sat on the table where the TV stands on. if it were to cover up the bottom of the screen i would lift up the TV somehow or place it behind the TV but likely i would lift up the TV so sound bar does not obstruct the vision of it

Go for the Samsung then mate , your tv is hdmi arc enabled so its simply one hdmi cable soundbar to tv & everything on the tv will pass through to the sound bar if its powered on & through the tv if it's in standby.

Volume can be controlled by both soundbar & tv remote & it just makes everything neater & more convenient.

I wouldnt buy anything that wasn't arc enabled now or at least had an hdmi input for dolby digital .

The fly in the ointment is this

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/yamaha-yas107-7-1-sound-bar-10164200-pdt.html

Because that is such a cracking piece of kit with some of the best spatial sound there is from a single soundbar.

It doesn't have a sub but has good deep bass irregardless ,every connectivity option & decoding format you could hope for , full colourspace 4k pass through & a dedicated subwoofer line out should you decide to add a powered sub in the future..

It deserves consideration.

SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah I will probably go with Samsung I am just so interested in Bose my dad had Bose in his old mercedes and it was great. I just dont want that bassless sound effects I mean if that Bose had subwoofer i would go for it not sure if i can buy one separately and connect it to it but yeah i am just wondering. I fear no bass at all or that "fake" sounding bass

Bose always did incredible in car audio systems for prestige car brands.
They also make some incredible audiophile quality mini monitor speakers .

For home audio & all in ones they have always missed the mark on price to performance.

In all honesty before you drop the money on the samsung I would look round local classifieds to see if there any second hand powered subs knocking about .

You can normally get good condition polk or eltac subs for £30 or £40 & that yahama paired with a sub will just blitz anything else out there for the £200 mark

Especially now dts x has been added with the latest firmware.

SirQnknown

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

I am skeptical when it comes to 2nd hand as i had bad experiences with it. I was always amazed with clarity of Bose speakers and I heard those mini speakers too but they lacked bass in my opinion I dont know if they improved it but what is there to improve when subwoofer is missing. I think I will do buy samsung

^ thats fair comment.

Seeing as both samsung & yamaha are both currys/pcworld specials your local store (if you have one) may have them on display or demo ??

I miss the physical store side of things nowadays

I used to pop to my local comet to look at stuff or try it out then buy them online cheaper , which I suppose is the exact reason they went bankrupt :-0