Best Canon For $750

MoonDefender

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
So I want to get a DSLR ( I would prefer canon ) my spending limit will be around 750 dollars maybe 800 but I can't go over. So please if you could give me some camera within those price ranges, and list some pros and cons of the camera.
Thank you.

TheGreatWarMage

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
I kind of agree with Dman, though get an older camera, like a d5000 used one or just a used one of canon. It all depends on what exact qualities you really want and what you will mostly use it for.

Do you want something that auto focuses by mount?
Water resistant(ish)?
great lcd screen?
Many points of focus?
etc..

I have a D5000 and I am able to take great pics. I prefer the bottom flip of the lcd than the side flip. Though, I would prefer a better lcd screen (more pixels) for when I am reviewing the pictures. I take wildlife photos so you don't usually get a second chance at all shots. But, I would rather pay for a used one, and get several lenses that auto focus themselves or just several nice lenses (i prefer manual) . The camera is important, but lenses are where they get you. Again, depending on what you shoot, a close lens and a far lens are usually important. And how far you need to be from the target is also an important matter.

filippi

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Great price/quality? $125 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

MoonDefender

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014

I take photos of nature/wildlife like sunsets clouds plants etc as well as night time pictures (but those are hard to get on a ipod). Pictures of citys or buildings (at night as well)

TheGreatWarMage

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
The lens listed by filippi is a great lens, especially for fast shot photos. I haven't had the chance to use a non zooming lens before, usually because I am trying to take photos of varying long distances of objects of varying sizes, and I am cheap.

Well, if you are chasing animals or want an animal that is 100 feet away to get a good shot, you should try for a 55ish-300 or slightly below telephoto lens. For non moving targets like buildings and plants, the one it comes with should be fine. The only IS general motor CHEAP lens I could find was a EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, possibly discontinued for $250 new (can be found everywhere). If you shop around, you might be able to pick it up for cheap with buying the camera, for that matter some form of a bundle with something good for a few bucks more.

For the night photos of city and buildings, it would be best to get a tripod and/or to practice with ISO settings. The tripod is good for panoramic and long term stationary shots. Playing with ISO and long term shots can make great photos of night time and non moving targets or lighting if your lucky enough. You can use the lens it comes with for these shots.

IS= anti vibration, and STM is a motor for video (sound reduction when zooming) I gathered and for a nice premium. USM is also a motor for quicker movements. For hand held shots, IS can be a life savior.

You should shop around, the price of that camera isn't going to change most likely. Usually camera shops will sell cameras with a bonus for same price to a small premium. I bought my camera with an extra lens (55-300mm) for less than it's half price. Also try the camera out in store, with knowledge staff. (camera shop) Free lessons on camera use can be well worth it too.

GarryH_Geek

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Often I'm not a fan of some brand, but with the requirements signed (fast lens and light overall price tag) I would recommend Nikon to the topic starter. Nikon has a geat 35/1.8 fast standard lens, much more universal and slightly more functional than Canon's 50/1.8 II.