Pucky

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Best headsets under 100$

Hi,
I need to buy a new gaming headsets with a max budget of 100$ (only for PC, no need for console compatibility). I want to get a headset with the best mic for the price. I was thinking in getting the mad catz f.r.e.q. 7, or maybe an mic like the blue yeti or the at2020 or a ANTLION Audio ModMic with a cheaper headphones.
What do you think or recommend.
Thanks

Solution
for mic quality the at2020usb or at2020usbplus (note: the at2020 (non usb) verson is XLR so wont work without a special adapter) are great mics and will of course be on the upper end of quality. the atr2500 is about 80% as good, not quite as robustly built but good for the money. if you are after vocal quality as a priority and do not care about headphone or audio quality then this would certainly be a good option.

if you want decent mic performance while not having terrible headphones then the modmic is certainly a good option. the muteless modmic runs $43 and the sennheiser hd518 runs $70 which would push you out to $113 not counting shipping which would be a pretty good pairing with decent sound all around. of course you could pair...

Petrifly

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
You could check out the Siberia v3, quite a lot of my friends have said they got their bang for buck with this headset. This headphone is a little over 100$.
There is also the Razer Kraken series like the Kraken 7.1 Chroma or a cheaper one like the Kraken pro which are decently priced but still quite nice headphones

for mic quality the at2020usb or at2020usbplus (note: the at2020 (non usb) verson is XLR so wont work without a special adapter) are great mics and will of course be on the upper end of quality. the atr2500 is about 80% as good, not quite as robustly built but good for the money. if you are after vocal quality as a priority and do not care about headphone or audio quality then this would certainly be a good option.

if you want decent mic performance while not having terrible headphones then the modmic is certainly a good option. the muteless modmic runs $43 and the sennheiser hd518 runs $70 which would push you out to $113 not counting shipping which would be a pretty good pairing with decent sound all around. of course you could pair up with a cheaper set of cans, though quality can be rather hit or miss depending on what you get.

if you wanted just the cheapest option available then the hyper x cloud (original not II). sound quality isnt bad for the $70 pricetag and mic quality is not terrible. not as nice as the modmic and certainly not the at2020 but passable. minute 2:10 seconds on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoyJBwHc3U its a bit light but understandable. you can note the difference between that and his normal mic though.

Solution

Pucky

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

Thanks,
do you know another mic (shotgun mic) that I could use for indie movies (using outside my house) and voice recording with good quality with a max budget of 150$-200$.

Pucky

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

What about the madcatz freq 7

i honestly do not know much about the freq 7 though madcatz is a pretty low end brand so i'd question the quality. given the high cost as well ($166 for the freq7 on amazon) you can do far far better (entry level hifi headphones and a modmic will blow them away)

outdoor (non pc recording or gaming) microphones are outside my expertise so i'll avoid that one.

Pucky

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

So what are exactly the products that you absolutely recommend for this price? Maybe the sennheiser hd518 with what mic?

well depends on what kind of price we are talking. you mentioned $100 as an absolute maximum yet listed the $170 freq7. theres quite a difference in what you can buy for each budget.

for $110-ish the hd518 + modmic is a good choice for decent sound quality.
for $140-ish the hd558 + modmic improves a bit on your headphone quality but keeps the same vocal quality.
for $140-ish the hd518 +atr2500 will have good headphone quality but better vocal quality for recording.

(of course not listed are the bass-light but airy/open/large soundstage headphones like the ad500x/ad700x from audiotechnica. if you dont want much bass response but want lots of detail in highs/mids then these are certainly worth looking into)

if you want to record content (professionally, or semi-professionally) it would be best to have a more decent mic. you would want a pop filter, boom arm and shock mount as well if possible (at minimum a pop filter).

the gamecom 780 is known to have pretty decent sound but has known bugs dealing with its surround sound. its not in the same league as hifi headphones for sure, but competes against similar low priced gaming headsets.

no idea about the 788

i'd say its not going to have nearly the same quality you can get with other products... but ultimately its your choice to make.