grrsona

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
I have a second computer monitor with a yellow composite video connector, I want to hook up a game console to it, however I need an adapter to get the RA (White and Red, or possibly just one) to an aux or something. Whats the best way to hook that up to a pair of speakers / headset? There are a lot of adapters claiming a lot, but I just need audio not video.

Solution
Unless the console has it's own volume control you need to have one on the audio system
You can use self powered speakers with an analog audio input.
If you want to use only headphones you could a headphone amp.
If you want to use speakers you will need a stereo integrated amplifier. Most of these will have headphone jacks. The amount of power you need will depend on the speakers or headphones you plan to use. A used stereo receiver, integrated amp, or mini system would work. It depends on your budget.
Unless the console has it's own volume control you need to have one on the audio system
You can use self powered speakers with an analog audio input.
If you want to use only headphones you could a headphone amp.
If you want to use speakers you will need a stereo integrated amplifier. Most of these will have headphone jacks. The amount of power you need will depend on the speakers or headphones you plan to use. A used stereo receiver, integrated amp, or mini system would work. It depends on your budget.

Solution

grrsona

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

You are right, found a female aux to female aux, which, coupled with an rca to aux adapter solved my problem!

grrsona

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

so americanaudiophile's answer was probably the most in depth, but not exactly what I did. I used a cheap RCA - Aux cord, then that coupled with a cheap gold plated female aux to female aux, that plugs into self powered speakers as audiophile said, and ended up working. Little bit of a jank solution but it did the job. Thank you to all who helped.