Best type of tripod for (YouTube) video and photography?

BlueFireZ

Estimable
Currently I have a basic pan and tilt tripod and I'm looking to upgrade, but I have no idea what to look for. Its main purpose will be to take YouTube videos and photos at home for my tech channel as well as normal use outside, and I would like it to be super smooth changing directions. I heard that there are tripods which have fluid or something in them that make them smooth. I there a name for this type of tripod?

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I haven't used a fluid head tripod but I ensure that it is the best. but why would you haste to buy that? I am using an ordinary head tripod with arca-swiss clamp.
try to use some oil for your tripod temporarily.

Jlipsphoto

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
Your best option for smooth motion while shooting video is the fluid head. You can get a decent one, such as a Manfrotto 502 for a little over $200 for the head or around $450 for the head and legs. There are cheaper ones out there too, but they will not produce as smooth a movement as the more expensive ones. Keep in mind with tripods you most certainly get what you pay for. Professional video tripods cost around $8,000-$12,000.

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

I dont think youtube videos deserve a professional tripod. anyway if someone order a "used tripod" how much it will take?

Jlipsphoto

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
When buying a piece of equipment, such as a tripod, you should think about future uses for it and not just the singular use of say making YouTube videos. It's better the spend a little more now and only have to invest once. That's not to say you should get a $8,000-$12,000 tripod, but getting one that is midrange price wise is better the getting a cheap one and have in to re-invest in a year or less.

The price of a used tripod would depend on where you buy it and what condition it's in. I have bought used camera gear from B&H photo and Adorama and had good experiences with both.

Jlipsphoto

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
That one may be ok. For me it seems like the max height is a little short and it only holds 6.6lbs. my DSLR with grip and lens is at least 8lbs. and if you decide, at some point, to add an on camera monitor to it that will definitely exceed the load capacity.

Here are a few in your price range from B&H Photo. I am not sure about the quality other than what I am reading in the reviews. I use the one I recommended for $450 before.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243272-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA7518B_Provista_7518_Tripod_w_FM18.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html

there are many others you could get. Look at the site and get what you think works best for you.