Blue Yeti - Sideways set up?

epicninja21

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
So, as I'm branching out from a headset towards a standalone mic and headphones I was wondering if it would be possible to set the mic sideways instead of the conventional upright or downwards position with this boom arm?

If not, could you recommend a boom arm/stand that isn't too expensive.

~Thanks

Solution
Epic,

In agreement with ssddx - you need to understand the recommended microphone/audio orientation requirements for optimal audio pickup.

Not a mounting issue per se.

Actually if you are at all handy, you could find and buy a used desk lamp with a boom very similar to what is shown in your original posting. Or if lucky you could get one free from a family member or friend. Check around (e.g., Goodwill type stores etc. and ask.)

DIY: Strip off the electrical wiring and socket/lamp shade stuff. Then mount the microphone in its place. Do not pull the microphone wire through to avoid damage and keep the wiring accessible. Overall, the project should not be too complicated to do and, depending on circumstances, may require a...
Probably yes.

Note that the microphone and windscreen are not included.

By the looks of it, you could easily replace/extend the "post" holding the microphone to achieve a 90 degree angle to keep the microphone/windscreen vertical.

It will the microphone that determines the accoustics involved - i.e., vertical or sideways. Not the mounting hardware.

epicninja21

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hm, okay I'll have to wait and see when I get the mic. Also I know it doesn't come with anything like that I've got the other stuff on my Amazon wish list to keep it all together c:

as long as what you meant by sideways was that you are still talking into the side of the microphone (tip pointed 90 degrees from you) then yes the microphone itself should be able to be used in that manner although most of what i've seen is users with it vertical.

however, the stand may not work.. if you read in their description. however one review says it does. i'd say your chances are 50/50
PLEASE NOTE:

1. MIC SCISSOR ARM STAND ONLY !! Microphone & Wind Screen Pop Filter NOT INCLUDED !!
2. The Stand is NOT Suitable for Blue Yeti USB Microphone.

Epic,

In agreement with ssddx - you need to understand the recommended microphone/audio orientation requirements for optimal audio pickup.

Not a mounting issue per se.

Actually if you are at all handy, you could find and buy a used desk lamp with a boom very similar to what is shown in your original posting. Or if lucky you could get one free from a family member or friend. Check around (e.g., Goodwill type stores etc. and ask.)

DIY: Strip off the electrical wiring and socket/lamp shade stuff. Then mount the microphone in its place. Do not pull the microphone wire through to avoid damage and keep the wiring accessible. Overall, the project should not be too complicated to do and, depending on circumstances, may require a visit to a hardware store. And/or some scrounging about in a box of old gear.

Actually you could rig the boom up to permit any desired microphone orientation: vertical or sideways. I would.

The money you save on the boom can go toward the microphone.

Solution