Status
Not open for further replies.

shinigamithekido

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I've had an issue with my laptop for the last few weeks. I own an Asus g550jk (extremely similar to the n550jv). It started with one of the hinges snapping off the top panel. After fixing it, I turned it on and for the first 5 minutes or so everything seemed alright. Then the screen started flickering and the backlight just cut out. Originally I assumed it was the LED screen and that it had gotten damaged somehow from the hinge breaking. After replacing it the backlight still didn't work so I took the motherboard out to get a better look at it. Upon closer inspection I noticed a tiny component on the underside of the board that looked burnt out. I assume this is the reason that the backlight no longer works. Does anyone know what this part is and how I would go about fixing or replacing it?

Here are some pics of it.
goV5gZq.jpg

c1NcxPL.jpg

LLxBs0t.jpg

7YAnsrn.jpg

shinigamithekido

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Yes I have basic tools capable of removing the component. I don't know what to replace it with however, or what that component even is.

First remove the burnt component, clean the area. Next, take a new picture but from both sides of the motherboard in the area of the chip 5244 and the burnt component. The chip 5244 controls the LEDs, you also have some components between the chip and LEDs. Without schematics and broadview of the motherboard, it's not as fast to determined the component, but I'm pretty sure it's a coil. By testing the continuity on the motherboard, I will make a schematic around the circuit and it will confirm the component.

shinigamithekido

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Okay so I've removed the burnt part and cleaned it up as well as I could. I've included the pictures of both the front and back.

CXXKU0q.jpg

xUb30z4.jpg

3EeOuGv.jpg

T6ibsf4.jpg

shinigamithekido

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Ok, thank you very much for all your help!

shinigamithekido

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Sorry, I was just happy for the help. And no haha I don't need that many!

Status
Not open for further replies.