Came out of my sony bravia lcd...i turned it on after a while and it worked fine

aneesh1991

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
guys...a month ago there was a huge power surge and smoke came out of my sony bravia lcd...i turned it on after a while and it worked fine....i was surprised as to how it could work..i asked a support guy n he told something about some power surge liquid inside it and blah blah..i honestly didnt understand him...he told theres no problem and it worked fine for a month n now yesterday, the picture started scrambling...it was like...every 2-5 seconds,it would say no signal..picture would come for a few seconds and again it would say no signal...after a while ,the tv would turn off(not standby,just off).... and another peculiar part is,we use inverter/ups at home..when its connected to just ups, works fine!! when its on mains,the problem occurs.. can anyone tell what the prob could be? the tech guy on phone told cud be a capacitor issue but im worried whether its some major problem.. pls tell : 1. what is that "power surge liquid " the tech guy was teliing about ?or what do u think really happend when smoke came? how did it still run?? 2.what could be the current problem? UPDATE : i tried turning it on a few mins back,now it wont turn on at all! it used to work fine on ups..now even the red light doesnt come...i can see its drawing power as i can feel its load on ups...HELP :(

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I have never heard of the term Power Surge Liquid, and i've heard a lot of garbage terms. The bottom line, you took a power surge, so you have to treat it as such. Surges do extremely funny things to electronics, so it does not at all surprise me that it worked for 3 months. If you feel comfortable opening up your set, you can visually inspect all of your components for bluges, ruptured capacitors, burned PCB spots, and burned electronic smell. If you are able to locate any of the above, you can possibly replace the damaged parts, or if you are not comfortable, talk to a local repair shop.

To directly answer your questions:
1. Power surge liquid is probably a garbage term, LCD televisions have no real liquid inside of them, aside from the LCD panel itself.
2. You took a power hit, electricity overloaded the internal circuits, and damaged some part of your television.
3. Just because you took a direct power hit, surges won't nessecarily instantly kill components. Your set was probably "limping" along until a component either gave way, or saw another power fluctuation, and finally destroyed the damaged component.
4. Current problem is your damaged component finally went. It is probably worth the 50-75 dollars to get a tech to diagnose the issue. It could be a cheap fix, or it could be catastrophic. I personally tend to gravitate towards power supplies first, as they are designed to take a brunt of the surge hit. Start there.