pascalmeulemans

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
DV camera connected via USB. USB composite device Drivers (3) are installed.
In device manager I see one "Unknown Device" when I connect my camera.
Used driver-easy PRO to update all drivers.I don't see a drive letter in the file explorer (whereas view-settings are set to see them).
How can I see the camera in the file explorer?

Solution
You won't be able to retrive video through the USB port. I will elaborate on why later.
Link to manuals

Update: The USB connection is only for viewing images stored on the memory stick. To retrieve videos you will need to use either the firewire connection (preferred) or the A/V cable and a video capture device.

pascalmeulemans

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

Hi, Thanks for your response,
I try to retrieve video from a mini-DV tape in the camera.

You won't be able to retrive video through the USB port. I will elaborate on why later.
Link to manuals

Update: The USB connection is only for viewing images stored on the memory stick. To retrieve videos you will need to use either the firewire connection (preferred) or the A/V cable and a video capture device.

Solution
It just occurred to me that if you do not have a memory stick in the memory stick slot of the camcorder that would explain why the camcorder is not showing up in file explorer. With the memory stick inserted and the camcorder connected via the USB cable the memory stick would (should) be assigned a drive letter and show up as external storage. Since the camcorder uses a tape instead of an internal storage then it won't show up in file explorer.