Can computer headphone jack turn off HDMI monitor audio?

kkrell

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Asus VN248H monitor connected via HDMI, which sends audio to the built-in speakers on the monitor.

The headphone jack on the monitor is not easily accessible for occasional use.

Is there a configuration where I can (late at night) plug my headphones into an audio output on the computer instead, and have it automatically cut the sound output from the monitor's built-in speakers.

System is an Asus Maximus VI GENE motherboard with i7 (using on-chip graphics for the HDMI out) and audio ports to front & back of case.

Thanks for any suggestions, including if necessary a source for a switchable cable or box to the monitor's headphone jack that can enable/disable auto cutoff.

Solution
Actually you could have them plugged in all the time and change the playback device depending what you need at that point. You simply right click the volume icon on the taskbar and select playback devices and from there you can choose the output you want (at least this is how it is done on Windows 10). Same logic applies to older windows version but it might be a bit trickier.

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Actually you could have them plugged in all the time and change the playback device depending what you need at that point. You simply right click the volume icon on the taskbar and select playback devices and from there you can choose the output you want (at least this is how it is done on Windows 10). Same logic applies to older windows version but it might be a bit trickier.

Solution

kkrell

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry, but no. That is the behavior I would expect and hoped for. Plugging into the headphone jack on the computer does not disable the HDMI audio to the monitor, although the headphones do work (simultaneously with the monitor speakers).

Plugging into the headphone jack on the monitor does disable the audio to the monitor speakers. Unfortunately, that jack on the monitor is difficult to reach (you have to come up underneath the backside to get to it) and is not at all conveniently accessible. Not useful unless the headphones were permanently plugged in (then I can't use the speakers when I want to).

I suspect there is some issue because of audio being exported over the HDMI connection. I don't know if I can use an HDMI-video-only cable, while also routing audio into the monitor from the system's rear sound jack. Then I suppose plugging my headphones into the front panel sound jack might enable the headphones and mute any other outputs. Or, it might just think that both jacks are headphones & both would still be live (that is, the monitor would still produce sound).

kkrell

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'd rather have it happen automatically when plugging in the headphones to the system. Your solution takes a few clicks and hunting about. Easy to forget and blast my girlfriend during her sleep cycle.

kkrell

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That works if I plug into the monitor itself, although it does take a few software steps to configure each time. Using the Realtek Audio drivers supplied with the Asus motherboard, and it seems to pop up with a tab asking for headphone device configuration & confirmation each time. Again, I wish this would work if I plug into the computer instead.

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
But there is a plug on the back of your pc case, the motherboard audio. you can plug the headphones there and leave them plugged in. Then you simply follow the steps described above and you are good to go. There is no need for third party software or reconfiguration. The only thing you might need is an extension for the headphones.