Can't boot laptop from disk

Rylan Sparks

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
I'm trying to install XUbuntu on an old laptop of mine in the hopes that it will get rid of the problems it has. Long story short, it blue screens ALOT and no one knows why.

Either way, when I choose to boot from the CD Drive, it just shows a black screen with a flashing cursor up in the top left and eventually boots to Windows. Upon doing "sfc /scannow", I was rewarded with
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

EDIT: I guess it's worth mentioning that I replaced the hard drive with an Intel SSD about a year ago, with the hopes of fixing it. I know this laptop is a lost cause, but I just want to see if running Ubuntu/Xubuntu will help it out any.

can be the disk is not bootable. if it an iso did you use an iso tool to make the disk bootable. also use a usb stick and make a bootable usb stick. on your laptop have you run overnight memtest68 to see if you have bad memory stick, also on some laptops there are bad nvidia video chips installed. there been class action lawsuits over replacing system boards and laptops with bad nvidia gpu chips.

Rylan Sparks

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

It has an AMD GPU chip, and the disk is the XUbuntu Live CD .iso. I used the exact same disk for an old desktop of mine. I'll try the USB boot, but somehow I doubt it will work.

EDIT: It worked! Thanks :p