fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
2 days ago, I unplugged my gaming laptop charger from the jack, and couldn't plug it back in. Thinking that there was dirt/plastic stuck inside, I (probably stupidly) used a few toothpicks to poke around in both the jack and the charger tip. The charger tip did end up fitting back in the jack, although it is a harder fit than originally.
When unplugged the tip after some charging, I found it super burning hot. Now, it becomes super hot after just 1 minute of charging.
I did some research, and am guessing that the charger is probably short circuiting due to a loose wire. The tip overheats when the battery is unplugged too.

I really want to spend as little as possible.

Do I need a new charger? What could be the problem, and how could I fix it?
Thanks in advance!

koffeeshop77

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
it is shorting out! dont stick it back in ther until you have figured out what is in there or you will be buying a new chager for70+$ and or new laptop. take a flash light and see whats in there and if a wire is bent or something...

koffeeshop77

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
does ther chager tip get warm when you dont plug it in the computer?? cause if the tip is normal temp without plugging it in first then it is shorting only when you plug it in the laptop which means the wire is bent in there some where...

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

Yeah, the tip is normal temperature when not plugged in.

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that the ac jack on my laptop motherboard is broken, or a wire in the charger tip of the AC adapter is broken?
So what should I do?
I can take it to a repair shop, but I really don't want to spend over $50 if possible.
I have found a similar charger on amazon.com that ships to Vancouver, Canada (where I live) that costs $45CAD altogether. My current one is 120w 19.5v, 6.15a, and the amazon charger is 120w 19v 6.3a, so I'm not completely sure it will work. If it is the chargers fault, the amazon charger is an option.

koffeeshop77

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
yes that would be an option. try sticking a tooth pick or somthing small enough to fit in that middle part of the psu tip and see if it shorts without you pluging it into the laptop..
you need to find the short before you purchace something in order to correct the porblem right.

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

i tried sticking a wooden toothpick up the hole of the charger tip. but nothing happened.
I don't think anything will happen, as wood doesn't conduct electricity.

I don't think sticking a metal object and testing if it is hot is a good idea.