Choosing a compact digital camera: Sony - Panasonic - FujiFilm

Paul__C

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing one of the following three cameras, however I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to choosing, so I'll ask you experts. I guess the biggest things I'm looking for is the best, most well-rounded bang for my buck. I would be using the camera primarily for landscape shots and portraits, all for fun (not professional use). I haven't had much experience with cameras, however I have always enjoyed photography and currently use a Canon EOS Rebel T3i with an 18-55mm lens. I like the ability of having "manual" options with the camera (as I'd like to learn how to properly use them over time with this camera). Any suggestions?

With 16-50mm lens

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7QTVSQ?colid=283O9Q9ZEJANF&coliid=IXC5ZIEGEA1HZ&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZDLD32?colid=283O9Q9ZEJANF&coliid=I2SPNFUPW9UOC6&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img

with 14-42 lens

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E87OITK?colid=283O9Q9ZEJANF&coliid=I1KGJWC40Z0TJM&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Sony, however I've heard all their lens are proprietary.

With the Panasonic, I'm not crazy about the tilting view finder.

I really appreciate any suggestions / thoughts on this, being a camera noob with a serious passion for photography.

thanks!

Solution

The main reasons he and others suggested are:
- You already have canon, so your lenses are compatible
- You already have canon, so the interface and overall camera use are the same
- True SLR cameras tend to have much higher quality of build and image than mirrorless ones

As I stated though, the cameras you stated are not "significantly" smaller in use. When it's in your hand, the camera size doesn't matter...
All depends on what you want most out of it. The fujifilm has style nobody can deny, but the sony will have better video and focusing speed. I would steer away from panasonic, but only because the other two have tangible benefits (style and performance)

When it comes to these ultra compacts interchangeable systems, actual image quality doesn't change much, it's more about features and style. Just see which one has the features you would like to use and go with it. Just remember that they won't be much smaller/lighter than the rebel in practice (you still need a case, and both still fit in most small bags).

Paul__C

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
thank you both for your replies.

Zmajcocrew - can I ask why you have suggested a Canon over these? It's actually not the first time I've heard that suggestion, however I always get different answers. One reason I steered away from Canon is the size aspect - the three I've listed are significantly more compact.

The main reasons he and others suggested are:
- You already have canon, so your lenses are compatible
- You already have canon, so the interface and overall camera use are the same
- True SLR cameras tend to have much higher quality of build and image than mirrorless ones

As I stated though, the cameras you stated are not "significantly" smaller in use. When it's in your hand, the camera size doesn't matter, and in fact larger cameras are more stable. When in a bag, both are too big to fit in a pocket and take up similar volume.

The main suggestion anyone would have for you is to just keep the T3i and buy a nice bag for it instead. It's cheaper and you'll enjoy it far more.

Solution