Chrome won't go to Google, Gmail, Youtube

May 4, 2018
After doing a Google search in IE (because Chrome won't go there) I found a discussion on this site about the same problem. According to recommendations in that discussion, I uninstalled Firefox, and now Chrome will go to Google but still will not go to Gmail or Youtube, and God only knows what other sites. Opening Chrome in admin mode with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall off does not let me get to Gmail or Youtube.

The error code shown is NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

My laptop's current date and time are correct for my time zone (Central)
The Action Center shows "No current issues detected"
I am running Avast Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Advanced Systemcare 11

I have been using Firefox and IE for Gmail and Youtube for months, and I am fed up with things not working correctly. I am at the point of being willing to wipe the whole hard drive and reinstall Windows. Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Agreed that you should only run one active-scanning AV at a time -- Avast has several real-time protection shields (including behavioral analysis), and due to the way AV works, having two active scanners running at once can cause many issues. You can usually use one solution in "Passive Mode" if you wish, so you can have features of multiple programs but only use one as an active scanner.

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Agreed that you should only run one active-scanning AV at a time -- Avast has several real-time protection shields (including behavioral analysis), and due to the way AV works, having two active scanners running at once can cause many issues. You can usually use one solution in "Passive Mode" if you wish, so you can have features of multiple programs but only use one as an active scanner.

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

Solution