Component video won't connect HDTV and DVR

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
I have a Samsung UN55ES6150F HDTV w/component video in, connected to Denon DVD-2200 w/component video out. When I choose the 'Source' 'Component' on the TV, it says it can't connect. Why?

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

Good questions. I did test the DVD on another TV and the video was jumpy and unreadable. I also tested the component cables with another device (DVR) connected to the Samsung TV and received the same message as the DVD hookup gave me ('source' shows 'component', but it says it can't connect). I've verified that the right cables are in the right jacks. I also tried composite cable connections between all these devices, and that works fine (though I was hoping to use component for better video quality). I do not have another set of component cables, but I guess I'll get some to try that. And/or I might try to connect my Samsung TV via HDMI to my Denon DVD component jacks via some kind of component-to-HDMI adapter (which I hope is available).

Since the Samsung TV recognizes the 'source' as 'component', what does that signify, if anything? Good jacks, good cable, neither?

Help?!? Thanks.

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

It does have a shared video input. When I plug in the component inputs, the TV shows 'component' as a 'source' availability. So I choose that. On the other hand, when I plug in the composite input, the TV shows 'A/V' as a 'source' availability. So I choose that. Other than that, I could not find anything else in the TV set up menu that allows me to select component vs. composite.