pinupgirl777

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Will using a Composite AV to HDMI Converter help our standard non-hd satellite receiver make our picture on our lcd hd tv clearer? We have an older DirecTv receiver that only has a antenna/cable, s-video cable and Composite AV jacks we have purchased a new 65" Toshiba LCD HD-TV that has several HDMI connections, component ColorStream HD jacks and Composite AV jacks. We currently are watching our satellite through the Composite connections and our picture is not very clear, we have also tried watching with just the antenna cable connection and it is worse. We know that it is not the TV since we have a Sony blu-ray hd sorround system with wifi streaming and the HD is perfect with it. What do you suggest? We really do not want to upgrade our receiver since we only use it for local news and channels we can not watch on HuluPlus or Netflix.

mattington

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Heya,

Using a coverter won't actually increase the signal quality. You receiver is still sending the HD signal through the composite connection and will be limited by that. Unfortuantely you only have two options to increase the signal stength (that I know of):

1.) Get a home theater receiver that supports composite in and has upscalling capabilities to clean up and improve the signal your old tv signal receiver is sending out. The new home theater receiver would allow you to run HDMI directly to the tv and you could connect your Blue Ray to it aswell. This is the better, but costly option

2.) Bite the bullet and upgrade the DirectTV Receiver. Ultimately the is the best option. It's cheaper than purchasing anything that upscales the video playback and is better as you are increasing the quality of the source as opposed to upscaling it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mattington

pinupgirl777

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thank You Mattington! This really helps me, we just bought a new Sony Home Theatre with composite hook up and HDMI to the TV. I reconnected everything and our picture is alot better then it was, it will work til we decide if we are going to upgrade our satellite or just use our Netflix, Hulu and Crackle. Thank you so much for your help, you rock! :bounce: