Computer freezes during Youtube videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I built my PC about 4 months ago. It has run smoothly but lately (within the last 2 weeks) whenever I watch youtube videos the computer completely locks up. The screen freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard does nothing. After letting the computer sit like this for a couple of minutes it will come back and run normally, no errors or anything. I have left task manager open during these freezes and found that the cpu usage spikes to 100 on all cores while the memory stays the same. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Catalyst and Flash Player and used different versions but they all have the same results. I have tested the cpu using prime95 and the ram with memtest. The both checked out ok. I think this problem is software related. Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
AMD FX-6200 six core processor 3.8GHz
16GB G.Skill sniper ram 1600mhz
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 motherboard
1tb Seagate barracuda HDD
Rosewill pci wireless card
Rosewill Green series 630 watt psu
Radeon HD 7850 2gb
Windows 7 64bit

nukemaster

Distinguished
First thing to try would be to disable hardware acceleration in flash just to see if it that(helps to rule out video card or driver issues).

Right click the video and hit settings, Then the first tab should have a hardware acceleration checkbox you can remove.

If that does NOT fix it, you may want to look at other browsers.

Did you use the Flash uninstaller from the Adobe website?

Can you check the even viewer for any logs that happen around the same time as this system freeze.

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

I have tried disabling hardware acceleration but it still freezes. I tried with Internet Explorer and it still froze. I will check event viewer for anything that could help.

derricklq

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
IE has a very high chance of corrupted add ons & plug ins. I would suggest you try firefox or chrome to see if you have any problems with the videos.

If there are no problems with other browsers mean that IE is the issue.

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

I use chrome as my default browser.

derricklq

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Another step you can take is to uninstall you adobe flash and shockwave. Download Ccleaner and clean up your system and do a fresh install of wither shockwave player or adobe flash.

most likely it will solve your issue.

eross1

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I have recently started having the same issue with streaming videos. After trying everything suggested here and on other sites to no avail, I found out the problem was the wireless pci card driver. I had originally used the generic Atheros driver that windows installed. I now use the latest driver from the manufacturer site (tp-link in my case), and the problem is gone. It also makes sense, since I did not have other video issues with the computer.

Cameron McCluskey

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

I have the exact same issue. I just bought the Humble origin Bundle and my PC has been freezing up all the time. It would make sense because I've been downloading non-stop all day.

ScottMc

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Updated both drivers and eliminated my wife's tether driver and my problem (exactly the same - I could reproduce it to the click using Chrome and YouTube) disappeared. Thank you very much.

7zark7

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

I've got the same problem and this sounds like the most likely cause. Unfortunately I'm a computer moron and can't figure out how to tell who the manufacturer of my wireless pci card is... which seems to be the first step. Then I'll need to figure out how to find and install the proper driver(s). I'm using an acer aspire one netbook running windows 7 if that's any help. Thanks!

7zark7

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately the Acer website shows no drivers for PCI cards for my model... it does however show "Wireless LAN" drivers... any relation? Also, my device manager does not show an actual PCI card... it does show a "PCI bus" though (lists manufacturer as "Standard system devices" which probably isn't a manufacturer at all)... again, any relation? Is it possible I don't have a PCI card? Sorry for being so dumb about all this... I really do love computers but they are WAAAY over my head.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Devices do not show up my the slot type. To make things more easy, they show up by what they are.

A wireless card(be it pci/pci-e or usb) will show up under Network Adapters.

If Acer has a section for wireless LAN, yes, those are what you want, please check to ensure that you only get the one you need. It is not uncommon for them to ship a system with several cards. The info in device manger should help.

XLifted

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Would like to resurrect this thread for anyone having the same issue. I was GOING INSANE...trying to figure it out.

Cause: Google Chrome....install Opera browser....NO ISSUES. I would test it playing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xaO1rGEQ50

It locked up within first 10 seconds in Chrome, NO MATTER how many times I uninstalled Adobe Flash or reinstalled Chrome or flash.

Before blaming the hardware install Opera and run it for 1-2 days playing Youtube. BAM!

GOD BLESS...OMG...I was tweaking BIOS for weeks now...when the reason was the damn browser

XtremeCold

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the default windows driver for the Rosewill Wireless Card is REALLY the problem.
I have the same issue with the post starter: Rosewill PCI Wireless Card. My PC always froze when playing online streaming videos and I always thought it was either the problem with my SSD or the video card. I tried the following but none worked:
- Replaced SSD with new SSD
- Removed one of the 2 RAMs
- Removed the video card to use the onboard video card
The last thing I tried before selling my PC cheap on Ebay was to use the specific driver of the Rosewill wireless card from their website, though their version is 2011. I'm glad I tried it. It WORKS!
Thanks for your help!

Harrytripper

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
It hangs/freezes during videos or Flash. Comes back after 30 to 90 seconds. Been doing this for months. What I get for buying off of eBay. Works OK other wise. My solution...

Get a new computer and NEVER buy another Acer or computer off of eBay!

The Orig Ralph

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

just wanted to say thanks for that tip - i was having the same problem with viewing / recording videos that run with adobe flash would stutter and freeze

for others having the same problem, i tried downloading Opera, no love

went to device manager > network adaptors, and while i don't have a wireless card, i did find Intel Ethernet Connection i218-V - first tried letting windows check for updated drivers, no love - went to intel's web and downloaded the driver from their web, which was the same version, but downloaded anyway, and installed it - and bingo - i've been able to record two videos (60 minute episodes of a comcast tv series) in a row, which is a frigging record

interesting, to me, was that when i tried to update driver after downloading, and selected the search my computer option, it first showed a file in adobe - i suspect the problem really lies with adobe not playing nice, as videos that run under silverlight, or iBBC player, i had no issues with

pcguy1976

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I also had this problem
Was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out
It was the wireless driver from Microsoft
I downloaded the proper driver from the Toshiba website (my laptop is a toshiba 650d btw) installed it and is working fine
Hope this helps somebody like it helped me
Thanks to all

Cobotis

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
I also built my computer and ran into the same problem...
streaming anything at all... it was just most obvious with youtube videos...
It ended up being some bloatware that came with the motherboard from gigabyte
called "GIGABYTE LAN Optimizer" as soon as it was uninstalled, no more problemmo....

houek

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I have the same problem (freezing on youtube video) but I don't have any wireless device in my PC. Where can I find any drivers if it installed? Also I turn youtube to HTML5 player with no result - still freezeing without any problem in event log (there is only power-off event after reboot). My MB is Asus P8Z77V LX2 and I using on board LAN device. Other drivers are up to date too. Gfx card is Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x where I disabled all Video Enhancements. No idea :/

Status
Not open for further replies.