Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hey everyone!
My asus k53sc has been showing crazy temps, ~80c idle (cpu & mobo), ~70 idle (gpu). As far as I know, 80c idle is even hotter than it should be under load. Under load it hits 99c and won't go higher (doesn't even shut down like it should!). I've replaced the thermal paste with some arctic silver 5, cleaned EVERYTHING, tried a different charger & battery and it still shows these temps. Here are my specs if needed:

Laptop: Asus K53SC-SX404V
GPU: Nvidia GT520MX
CPU: Intel Core I5-2430m @2.40ghz
Storage: 750gb 5400rpm hdd
RAM: 8gb ddr3

Sounds rather odd, especially if it is running fine. Makes me wonder if you are getting incorrect readings. Have you tried any other monitoring programs? As if those temps 'are' correct, then you have a problem. If it is correct, I would start by looking at the fans not working correctly.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
The fan is working fine, because there's coming heat out of the sides & I can hear it spin. I can also see it spin if I remove the keyboard. I reset the cmos, but it didn't do anything. The laptop is also very hot. When I game the programs show a hotter temp, so the readings are correct. The laptop is already 4 years old, but I can usually use those normally for 6-8 years so I don't think it's too old.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

It uses the stock Asus cooler, and I've repasted the cpu & gpu 3 times with arctic silver 5, but no difference.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

It was like that before it, the only thing I can still touch without feeling heat is the keyboard. The temps did not change at all after repasting. I don't know if I should still use it when it hits 99c or shut it down because it won't do it automatically (which it should). It feels very hot, I can just cook some food on it if I want to.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
do you guys think other components like the hard drive and the power supply could be contributing to all this?

OCCT can run diagnostics on CPU, GPU, and such. Install it and click on the Infinite and then the Go button