Dad Kills Own Son Over Missing Videogame

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]That's what alcohol does to you... plus he's nuts, ruthless, heartless and born a killer. There is no excuse. He must be imprisoned for life for the life he took.[/citation]

[citation][nom]andy11[/nom]The worst part is this will give bad rep to the video game industry when the video game had little to do with it, the key thing here was the "dad was DRUNK" it was his anger issues and alcohol that made him attack, not a video game! But let's just watch how the media turns this into video games make people violent![/citation]

[citation][nom]will_chellam[/nom]im sure the alcohol had a much bigger part to play than the video game - if they didnt have a console it probably would have been over what channel was on tv.[/citation]

Great, more alcohol bashers! Clearly this man was enraged due to the violence that was surely present in the video game in question. Blaming alcohol is just a shameless attempt to create publicity and scandal. According to a recent study*, "alcohol consumption, even in quantities that elevate the blood alcohol level above 0.08%, have shown no adverse side affects on reflexes and cognitive thought".

It's time this anti-alcohol propaganda ceased, and the rightful culprit, video game violence, was put in its proper light.

*study was sponsored by Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, "It's Miller Time!"(TM)

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I agree about the bond. I think you only have to pay 10% to a bondsman, so he could be free for $10,000..>> II can't remember what I was watching on the news the other day but I think it was theft related and they gave the guy 2-3 million dollar bond.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Great, more alcohol bashers! Clearly this man was enraged due to the violence that was surely present in the video game in question. Blaming alcohol is just a shameless attempt to create publicity and scandal. According to a recent study*, "alcohol consumption, even in quantities that elevate the blood alcohol level above 0.08%, have shown no adverse side affects on reflexes and cognitive thought".It's time this anti-alcohol propaganda ceased, and the rightful culprit, video game violence, was put in its proper light.*study was sponsored by Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, "It's Miller Time!"(TM)[/citation]

Are you kidding me? Do you even know what game it was? I somewhat think what you posted is EXTREMELY sarcastic but at the same time I almost think your serious? Well, if your serious.. your FRIGGIN WACKED TOO! What if it was Leisure Suit Larry and it was his only copy, for the AMIGA and his drug addict son, sold it to some crack slingin', historical freak who would love nothing better than a fresh copy of Leisure Suit Larry!!!

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Some people go crazy when drinking heavily. It could have happened over anything, it just have happened to be a videogame. Some people should not be allowed to drink period. I'm not blaming the alchohol but some people get very aggressive when drinking so those people should just quit & never drink again.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Are you kidding me? Do you even know what game it was? I somewhat think what you posted is EXTREMELY sarcastic but at the same time I almost think your serious? Well, if your serious.. your FRIGGIN WACKED TOO! What if it was Leisure Suit Larry and it was his only copy, for the AMIGA and his drug addict son, sold it to some crack slingin', historical freak who would love nothing better than a fresh copy of Leisure Suit Larry!!![/citation]

Just to dispel any worries, no, I was not at all serious.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Shit, I GET aggressive when I drink and I have done some DUUUUMB shit man. I can only imagine being 50 years old, having a completely SHITTY life and then getting hammered only to find out my son, that I raised, stole my only copy of Leisure Suit Larry and sold it for CRACK. I'd kill that mother*ucker too!

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Wait, which video game was it? I mean can understand if it was something valuable like an copy of Chrono Trigger or something...nobody touches my antiques....

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Can we stop blaming video games yet? How about this headline-
"drunken enraged father with criminal past kills son"

I swear, if I see another article with a headline on toms blaming gaming, pointing out the games, im done with toms hardware. Your a tech site, and yet you still put headlines up like this. It's rediculous how biased your headlines are and it's giving gamers a bad name. I won't stand for it. Even if it is a copy and paste from another site.

zirbmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
New reports show that the game in question was 'Duck Hunt.' Father claims he didn't know you don't use a real gun with that game. He mistakenly ran out of the house when trying to play 'Track and Field.'

G

....and yet somewere some redneck NRA members are fighting for "gun rights"

Only in America!!

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Great, more alcohol bashers! Clearly this man was enraged due to the violence that was surely present in the video game in question. Blaming alcohol is just a shameless attempt to create publicity and scandal. According to a recent study*, "alcohol consumption, even in quantities that elevate the blood alcohol level above 0.08%, have shown no adverse side affects on reflexes and cognitive thought".It's time this anti-alcohol propaganda ceased, and the rightful culprit, video game violence, was put in its proper light.*study was sponsored by Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, "It's Miller Time!"(TM)[/citation]

The article said the study was sponsored by Miller Brewing Company. Do you believe Tobacco companies when they say cigarettes do not cause cancer? You have go to be kidding me if you think alcohol doesn't affect reflexes and cognitive thought, even at .08%. People develop tolerance to substances differently and .08% to a person who spends every night in the bar is going to affect a person differently who rarely ever drinks. Clearly the study may have been distorted due to the interests of Miller Brewing Company.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It was obviously the video game that caused it. Because drunks never fight over anything other than video games.
/sarcasm

Ummm...I'm pretty sure if that set him off, just about anything else would have, so please don't make it seem like it's the raging violence of video games that cause it.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Guys and Gals,

No one is blaming video games as the cause of this, and Kevin Parrish is NOT twisting the story with a bad title. The title "Dad kills son over missing video game" is fine; the video game was only the catalyst, as the title points out. This terrible event is a classic example of over reaction....maybe we could refrain from doing the same?

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
SEe what acohol does...And they say cannabis should be illegal...This would have never happened had the father smoked some weed...He would have been asleep before 4:15am

Status
Not open for further replies.