Dad Kills Own Son Over Missing Videogame

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xiiifigs

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Is anyone else alarmed by the fact that this is a story about a 17-year-old getting killed, yet the opinions seems to drift farther and farther from the story which is, an innocent person was killed by their father over [something not even close to relevant]. Am I missing something? I'm not criticizing, it just doesn't seem right, at all.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]Guys and Gals,No one is blaming video games as the cause of this, and Kevin Parrish is NOT twisting the story with a bad title. The title "Dad kills son over missing video game" is fine; the video game was only the catalyst, as the title points out. This terrible event is a classic example of over reaction....maybe we could refrain from doing the same?[/citation]

your wrong, alcohol was the catalyst. The guy was crazy, and he shot his own F%*$% son!! It has nothing to do with the video game, which was probably 1 of 100 arguments he got into with his son. But, it doesn't say anything about alcohol or his criminal past in the headline, but somehow video game makes it in there. It's blaming video games because that is where they put the focus. And, as unlikely as it seems, these king of articles that focus on video games are just a scapegoat for criminals, and it puts fear into the mass media about video games which hurts the video game industry and gamers. It deeply offends me, and any gamers should speak up about it. I realize that a single article isn't going to do huge harm, but it's just a small pebble in a pond.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]xiiifigs[/nom]Is anyone else alarmed by the fact that this is a story about a 17-year-old getting killed, yet the opinions seems to drift farther and farther from the story which is, an innocent person was killed by their father over [something not even close to relevant]. Am I missing something? I'm not criticizing, it just doesn't seem right, at all.[/citation]

Exactly- I agree totally, it is terrible, but they are trying to shift the focus on video games, blame video games. This is horrible, but the guy is f*&%#$* nuts. Nothing to do with video games. He should be put in prison for life.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That'll teach him to misplace his fathers videogame! But in all seriousness the game shouldn't even be mentioned because the father was a drunken criminal.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]I'll bet he was hispanic[/citation]
homer what did they teach you in school about stereotyping? That most of the time there is some truth to it :)

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]melvis72[/nom]Sure blame video games, not the fact that he's a drunk idiot and had a prior criminal history!![/citation]

Nothing else to add. Society was screwed before video games, but now they got something to blame it on.

kvn00

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]THG is not just for tech anymore, dontchaknow?[/citation]

Yeah, between sensationalized articles like this one and Marcus Yam drivel, next THG will be releasing a bootleg video of Paris Hilton using a USB key to pleasure herself cuz that'd be tech news: "Omygod, it's not even USB 2.0! Omygod!"

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Kevin Parrish, using that Shining reference is very sick and insensitive and hurts toms credibility. Thats fucking disgusting, a teenage boy died here and you try and have a sense of humor. fuck you.

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I hope they give him the electric chair.. No ass hole deserves to live after killing his own son over something crazy and the fact he has previous charges and drunk.. Go to hell you bastard..

G

Come on, he did not shoot his kid for the video game. Hate titles like these so it can sell.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The article isn't blaming video games at all, it's saying that the father killed his son over something as insignificant as a game. Hell, you could replace video game with cheese or a sock if it makes you feel better.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I swear, if I see another article with a headline on toms blaming gaming, pointing out the games, im done with toms hardware. Your a tech site, and yet you still put headlines up like this. It's rediculous how biased your headlines are and it's giving gamers a bad name. I won't stand for it. Even if it is a copy and paste from another site.[/citation]

Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.