Dell M6500 touchpad/point stick Not working correctly or at all

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016
My dell m6500 started acting up the point stick all of a sudden stopped working and is not being detected at all. The touch pad now won't double tap or scroll and zoom. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but it did not fix it. I ran tests on motherboard and other components and they all passed. I ran the dell diagnostic f12 key one and from cd. I even ran the program that scans hardware support assist and still got no errors. There was this dell forum I stumbled apon that had this issue or close to it and the conclusion was a motherboard failure. But everything passed and I do not have anything to swap out and test.

Solution

I managed to fix the problem by replacing the keyboard.
Well a motherboard can fail while still passing some system tests. Frustrating I know. Have you tried installing more detailed/in-depth testing program(s). You may get better information that way.

Also, when you uninstalled the driver(s), did you reboot before reinstalling them?

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

For the programs I only know of the ones that came with it and for driver uninstall yes I restarted before reinstalling the driver. I even deleted all the driver software and even tried compatibility mode. I even tried it without restarting ad nothing works I cannot even click on menus or settings in dell touch control panel thing the mouse driver has.

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

I used CPU-Z and I tried that Aida64 program but it wanted me to buy it and 30 day trial I tried figuring it out but no diagnostic tools I could see. The ones you listed are they free?

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

I checked those and they are not what I am looking for. I need something to test motherboard or something that can detect things that the computer no longer can detect and tell me why.

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

I managed to fix the problem by replacing the keyboard.

Solution

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

Yes as it seems the answer mark option vanished for this thread on my end.

Thomas Maher

Commendable
May 30, 2016

It kinda gone missing in other post as well. Funny thing you are the only one that been answering my post so far I wonder why?