dolby digital or not

Nikos m

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
i want to buy the logtech z906 but my motherboard doesnt support dolby digital. the question is firstly do i need dolby digital or the standard 5.1 is fine? secondly since my motherboard doesnt support but if movie's format is dolby digital will it pass through my motherboard and onward to the logitech z906 as dolby? or i have to buy a supportive sound card if dolby is worth it?

Solution
Dolby and DTS are the surround standards for movies (there is no standard 5.1 channel codec just a lot of different variations for movies, music & games). If your mobo has digital audio out you should be fine. The z906 box will do the processing for you so the mobo doesn't have to. I would check that the mobo will pass through the audio without altering it.
Dolby and DTS are the surround standards for movies (there is no standard 5.1 channel codec just a lot of different variations for movies, music & games). If your mobo has digital audio out you should be fine. The z906 box will do the processing for you so the mobo doesn't have to. I would check that the mobo will pass through the audio without altering it.

Solution