DVD Drive makes whirring sound then clicks

numnums

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to burn some files to a blank DVD, however when I do put the DVD in my DVD burning drive, it makes a whirring sound like its trying to spin followed with 2 clicks. I haven't had this issue before and can't figure out what's wrong. I've tried multiple DVDs so it must be an issue with the drive itself. Can anyone help me out? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Solution

Sounds like the optics are no longer working. When the eye or laser fails or is on the verge of failing, this is often what happens. The drive would need replaced if that's the problem.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

What kind of discs are you using and what is the make/model of the disk drive? For example, if you're using a standard CD-DVD-R/W drive and trying to put dual layer discs in it or something like that it may act weird

numnums

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

I am using Sony DVD+R 16x DVDs which are single layer. The actual drive itself is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2AS.

numnums

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Yes, I've tried CDs, DVDs, all blank and with data and media already on them.

Sounds like the optics are no longer working. When the eye or laser fails or is on the verge of failing, this is often what happens. The drive would need replaced if that's the problem.

Solution

numnums

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Ok, I'll start looking for a replacement soon. But listen to this; I was messing around with the laptop itself and found out that if I flip it upside down with keyboard facing the ground, and load a disc in, the drive reads it no problem.... weird.