ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I'm migrating one of my machines from XP to W7 and the e-mail client I've chosen for W7 is a version of Outlook. My XP client is Outlook Express. There doesn't seem to be a way to import information from Outlook Express to Outlook and the file extensions are different so I can't just move the folders around. Do I really have to throw away everything.

Solution
Yes, OE has been discontinued ever-since Vista and WM / WLM has been introduced. It is free and GUI is also not bad. You can import dbx files in WLM without any issue. However, since you are having Outlook on the new computer, I had suggested trial Outlook to be installed on the old computer as importing / exporting pst files will be much easier.

As for the FBI virus, if you have access to other user accounts, see if you can boot in safe mode and perform a system restore. Then boot in normal mode to run a virus scan / malware scan.

IF you aint able boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt or didn’t have a System Restore point on your machine, you can use HitmanPro Kickstart to bypass this infection and access your computer to scan it...

dickysolo

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
It can be done in many ways. The easiest way is to

Install trial Outlook on the XP computer and export the mails from OE to the trial Outlook. Take the PST file to the new computer and you can import the PST file. (easy method).

PST file location : C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (first you need to unhide hidden files)

You can also check out this MS link

Hope this fixes the issue for you.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I wish it worked that way on my computer. I wouldn't be bothering folks on this forum. I moved all of my .DBX files from OE to the desktop of the Outlook 2010 computer and ran the import wizard. It asked all the right questions but when it came to importing it didn't bother to ask where the files were that I wanted to import. I guess it assumes something but I don't know what. It claims to have imported 1 message but I have no idea what it is or where it put it. The link you sent looks like it ought to be the answer until you try to follow the steps and find it conflicting with itself. I think I'm stuck.

I've done this several times and I believe dickysolo had it right - for some obscure reason, Outlook has to be able to access OE to complete the import - not just the files in isolation. Is the XP system still running or did it disappear in an upgrade to W7?

If it is no longer in existence, I think Mozilla Thunderbird should be able to import the .dbx files you have into its format and then export them to Outlook 2010.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/move-oe-to-outlook-new-computer/

This is the "official" explanation (more or less) from a moderator on a Microsoft forum. What it boils down to is that the two programs will NOT directly import/export to each other unless they are both installed on the same partition. That's not possible in my case because my XP partition has been damaged by the FBI virus. The alternative that worked for me is to use "Windows Live Mail" to convert the file extensions. There may be other clients that do the same thing but WLM is the official successor to OE according to Microsoft. Actually, WLM looks pretty good to me and it's free. I may forget about Outlook entirely. Thanks for the responses.

dickysolo

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Yes, OE has been discontinued ever-since Vista and WM / WLM has been introduced. It is free and GUI is also not bad. You can import dbx files in WLM without any issue. However, since you are having Outlook on the new computer, I had suggested trial Outlook to be installed on the old computer as importing / exporting pst files will be much easier.

As for the FBI virus, if you have access to other user accounts, see if you can boot in safe mode and perform a system restore. Then boot in normal mode to run a virus scan / malware scan.

IF you aint able boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt or didn’t have a System Restore point on your machine, you can use HitmanPro Kickstart to bypass this infection and access your computer to scan it for malware. I have seen in forums that using the above softwares fixes their issues.

Hope this fixes yours too.

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
This is my second adventure this year with FBI. The first time it took me half a day to find Hitman Pro and use it to remove the virus. When it hit me again on 8/16 I figured "no big deal". Was I ever wrong. Hitman no longer worked nor did any of the above suggestions. A guy on the Malwarebytes forum suggested a Kaspersky rescue disk. I followed the procedure several times. It didn't seem to work but a least it would allow me to see my files and edit the registry. I had given up but for some reason but for some reason I kept scanning with the disk. I finally was able to boot into the partition and run some scans etc. It took a week. Eventually I did a repair to restore the OS which worked sorta. I was able to get my important files moved to a network drive but the OS has lost too much functionality. Besides it's XP and I was just putting off migrating as long as possible. Anyway, what I'm trying to get across is that the hackers have gone to school on all the current methods to beat FBI. I hope somebody comes up with something new because most people would have given up long before I did. Thanks to all and thanks to Mr Charlie at Malwarebytes.

We don't get FBI in the UK but our equivalent ransomware hacks have all succombed to ComboFix. Lately, I've been running out at three a week from my customers and haven't failed one yet.

Thet said, It isn't necessary in your case because you can let that system go. I suggested Thunderbird but is seems Windows Mail can carry out the import from files and not a running programme so you're in the clear now.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I'm sure you remember helping me for several days. Eventually I did get to use Combofix but it wasn't until after I gained access to my desktop. The only program I could get to scan the infected partition from outside was the Kaspersky rescue disk and I probably scanned with it at least 20 times before gaining entry. As I said. the whole process took a week.

dickysolo

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I was just checking with a friend who too faced the same FBI virus. He did a normal Virus scan and malwarebyte scan and it fixed. But he did however perform a system restore in safe mode with command prompt before the scan.

MS Link for boot in safe mode with command prompt.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Lucky him. Believe me I tried all those things first. No joy. Actually, the screen I got said P.R.I.S.M. rather than FBI. I'm sure there are many variants.