EA Now Distributes Games on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hope this is the beginning of the end of DRM. EA is the leader of the pack when it comes to invasive DRM, so hopefully others will follow.

G

if your store only stays in the loop because of dvd media, this is the least of your problems.

G

This is awesome now i can get some of EAs games...

was gonna get Dead Space but then I saw EA joined STEAM and was... nope i'll just download it I won't have to deal with the DRM / CD

I love steam so much now... used to hate but now i love it

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]I hope its not the end of DVD media. It will cut off a lot of retailers from the loop including my store.[/citation]
I love Steam, but I think out of all the games I use with steam, I have only bought a single game off of them.

I absolutely hate Digital Distribution when it comes to things of any real value (Music, Movies, Games). It's a lot safer with a hard copy, and I have something nice to put up on the shelf, and some nice boxart, with some artwork (in most cases).

mna_226

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I just visited Steam game pages. Crysis is still listed with 3rd party DRM SecuROM and having 5 activation limits. Is EA going to remove DRM from titles which have already been released on Steam?

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]I hope its not the end of DVD media. It will cut off a lot of retailers from the loop including my store.[citation][nom]mna_226[/nom]I just visited Steam game pages. Crysis is still listed with 3rd party DRM SecuROM and having 5 activation limits. Is EA going to remove DRM from titles which have already been released on Steam?[/citation]
[/citation]

Transfer rates are still to slow to download games all of the time.
I would rather pop in a DVD or series of CDs instead of waiting for several hours to download and install a game.

G

I actually like steam, because now all the bugs are ironed out it actually works, it serves as a good program for short cutting all ur games into 1 program, easy to launch them. also updating games are a heck of a lot easier then having to go to every website, then scan, then d/l then apply the patches to respective games. Steam does all of this with 1 click. I am a fan of DRM if it is this is how it all works, its not as intrusive nor is it restrictive as other DRM's

Steam just works, I think Steam has the ability to provide content distribution to all games if manufacturers get on board and support it.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
How about it toms? Can you let us know if EA will now give us unlimited installs on all there games through steam?
This has left many a gamer with a sour taste.As a working adult I can buy all the games I want but it still is upsetting to pay 50 or more dollars for something that amounts to a rental.As as for the kids (Usually the parents buying the games) how are they to feel when the game activations are used up?

EA REALLY NEEDS TO TREAT THERE COSTUMERS BETTER AND GIVE US UNLIMITED ACTIVATION TO THEIR GAMES.

and yes just where does crysis warhead stand?

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Well it's like numerous posts at Spore's release stated... I'm sending my message to EA with my money. I did not pirate any games but also did not buy Spore even though I really wanted to give it a whirl. Now that it will be DRM free, although admitedly I'd rather have a disc than download, I WILL be purchasing Spore off Steam at the first of the year.

I really hope that enough people get the word and actually buy it now off Steam even tho it still isn't the most ideal scenario. I wish this because if tons buy it now off Steam it sends a message in dollars that EA will listen to better than any letters. Maybe they will get the hint if sales were to explode now that it is DRM Free.

Now I know that is being overly optimistic, the damage is done for most and they have lost tons of sales already, it's simply too late to get some of those customers back but I for one will do my part by buying a game I wanted without DRM. I hope this is a sign of things to come from EA and they learn from their mistakes...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I love Steam, but I think out of all the games I use with steam, I have only bought a single game off of them.I absolutely hate Digital Distribution when it comes to things of any real value (Music, Movies, Games). It's a lot safer with a hard copy, and I have something nice to put up on the shelf, and some nice boxart, with some artwork (in most cases).[/citation]

So how is a large company with distributed servers all over the world more likely to screw up than your CD/DVD is to get scratched? I prefer downloading games, I often lose a game that I bought a few years earlier.

As for downloading time, well Steam downloads at my maximum speed (around 1.5MB/s), so that's not too bad. Updates are usually done in less than 30 seconds. It doesn't really take any longer to download a game than it does to go to the store and buy it. At 1.5MB/s I can get 5400MB/hour, so most games take much less than an hour to download.

mna_226

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hi Gavin Steacy (author of this news story)
Would it be possible for Tomshardware to contact Crytek (on behalf of or as a favor to readers of Tomshardware) and ask if they plan to remove Securom from Steam version of Crysis series? I have send them email but they have not responded. Perhaps they will respond to you much quicker than responding to an individual. I would really love to buy Crysis but this Securom has been putting me off.
Regards,
Nasir.

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
mna_266,

I doubt Crytek will have a whole lot of say in the matter given EA's love for invasive DRM. Ubisoft also continue to use DRM with Far Cry 2 on Steam. I'll shoot them and EA an email and see what they say though.

Status
Not open for further replies.