Not open for further replies.

DiamondxCrafting

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Which antivirus should I use?
Eset Smart Security Premium 10
or
Bitdefender Total Security 2018

Ignoring the prices, which is the winner overall?

Solution
When I was using ESET smart security my system went slow a little and the settings were complicated for me to set. I haven't tried Bitdefender total security but their free anti-virus was good. For complete package, imo, Webroot Secure Anywhere is great, lightweight, and cheap. So, I would suggest you webroot.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
They have a review of full security suites at av-test.org. ESET Internet Security is in there. Is there something particularly stronger with Smart Security?

EDIT: no, actually. Smart Security got replaced with ESET Internet Security. Oh, and the ratings are much worse than for BitDefender.

DiamondxCrafting

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

How bad of an idea is it to possibly use both?
or maybe Eset smart security with another av (secondary/light) that uses bitdefender's engine?

is that possible/practical?

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Definitely a waste of resources, and potentially they'll actually conflict with each other.

ESET gets good usability reviews, but BitDefender's not much lower...and it's far better in terms of protection. ESET is a performance HOG, too.

DiamondxCrafting

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

I was starting to get convinced that bitdefender is the better option but... then there is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6LRqTyKIlg (bad detection rate and being a performance hog..)
while eset performed better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2ZvqebEf8
obviously this is not apples to apples because different samples and different number of them but still, it's something

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'll trust av-test.org and their ratings over...just about everyone. They, and av-comparatives...and one more, I think, that I can't recall...are also recommended here as the gold standard in AV and malware prevention software testing, IIRC. Been a while.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

You can start there, then examine their detailed breakdown.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Bitdefender Free with Windows Firewall is all you need. Although they have no online customer support, but their free version is 100% free with no ads, no pop up, and no junks come along with it. What you install and use is ANTIVIRUS only, and that's it.

Alternative to Bitdefender Free is Avast Free which I don't trust them at all, and Kaspersky Free Antivirus.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Relying on Defender is problematic, to say the least; it's always been porous as heck in any review I've seen over the last 15 years. I actually think Defender is WORSE than nothing, because it makes you think you have protection, when in fact, it's like a screen with holes....

For a comparison of free vs. paid versions:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/avc_free_2017_en.pdf

However, OP was talking about suites, so it seems safe to say he wants features beyond just AV, and is willing to pay for them.

DiamondxCrafting

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

I don't how you can trust that, I mean I've never heard of "AhnLab" and how did Avira get 100% in everything and if it did why is it not at the top, just about nothing adds up.
shouldn't eset smart security premium 10 and emsisoft anti-malware be THE BEST?
if no, why not?

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Just because you or I have never heard of AhnLab really means nothing. Neither of us monitors the field that closely; these guys do.

Avira did not get top ratings. That list is alphabetical. (Their security suite listing is by rating, tho.)

Finally, they break down their ratings into a lot of specifics. Read the details. Why do you think ESET and Emsisoft are so good?

As I say, I trust the reviews from the major indie groups over the media-based reviews.

DiamondxCrafting

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

avira got five "stars" or whatever it is in the three fields...
I think that eset is the best in everything BUT the detection ratio of it isnt the best, as far as i know bitdefender has an amazing detection ratio. So if i use eset and a secondary AV with bitdefender's engine, it seems to me like THE BEST protection

PeterKendrick

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
When I was using ESET smart security my system went slow a little and the settings were complicated for me to set. I haven't tried Bitdefender total security but their free anti-virus was good. For complete package, imo, Webroot Secure Anywhere is great, lightweight, and cheap. So, I would suggest you webroot.

Solution

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I wouldn't suggest using Webroot at all in my opinion because nobody understand what each function do, even their online tech support fail explain it :

Both ESET and Bitdefender offer free trial for 30 days, so you should test each one of them out to see which one is good for your system. In some system, Bitdefender performs much better while the other ESET performs better.

Veg4Life

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Just had a massive attack on a network. Bitdefender for Mac and Windows did a HORRIBLE job. Client click on phishing attack and there was absolutely no warming. When the forwarded link to me in Gmail - it caught it immediately. Wonder if ESET would do a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.