Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
I just recently got a laptop and I'm not sure that it will be able to run any game that I may like in the future. It has a nice CPU, but it has an R5 graphics card which I know is not that great lol I am going to go with a low profile graphics card with this. I have a PSU that's a 220-Watt from my desktop that should be fine with just having to power a low profile graphics card. I have researched and found out that many low profile graphics cards don't even need 100 watts to work. I don't mind if the settings are on low for any game that I may play, I just don't want it to lag any is all. Here's a link to the adapter that I need for this
http://www.everbuying.net/product1078689.htmlcurrency=USD&gclid=CM6_g5ysy8gCFQumaQod0moBnQ
As far as I know, this adapter plugs into the PCI-E slot on the laptop? I do have a USB wireless adapter to replace the wireless LAN module. Any recommendations on a graphics card for this? Anyone with any results from doing this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA Here's a video of how this works. Thanks

Solution

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Don't bother, waste of money trying to buy an external adapter and graphics card. Laptops have very limited compatibility with external graphics options (nature of bios and other manufacturer compatibility) as these adapters require you to take use of an internal PCIe slot of the laptop, where a wifi card is or mSata.

Never buy a laptop if you want upgradability and gaming. Still can't understand why people still buy laptop and think any alternative solutions will solve graphics limitation.

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015

I can understand that lol I already have this PC though. I did check with HP using HP chat support and thankfully he confirmed that it works for my computer. I do need help in determining which graphics card I should get for this. Here's the convo from the hp support

4:30 PM Tanbir: The user accessable parts of the notebook are RAM, Hard drive, Wireless card .
4:31 PM Customer: Yes I know, The way it's done is by using the wireless card slot and installing a USB wireless adapter for internet. I was wondering if I could switch the graphics to the external graphics card if I did this?
4:32 PM Customer: The adapter for the external graphics card is installed in the Wireless card slot
4:33 PM Customer: Basically, is this supported or is the option which I think is called Switchable graphics mode available for this?
4:36 PM Tanbir: You can add external graphics card at anytime with the notebook.
4:36 PM Customer: Thank you. I just wasn't sure if this model and bios supported it is all
4:36 PM Tanbir: Let me share a link with you now.
4:36 PM Tanbir has sent a link: http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock
4:38 PM Customer: So this will work with my laptop and increase my gaming performance?
4:38 PM Tanbir: Yes, definitely.
4:39 PM Customer: Thank you very much as I needed to make sure that I could upgrade with external graphics card if needed

This is for the HP 15-f337wm with BIOS F.33 for anyone who needs this information. I just need to know of a good graphics card for this or another adapter that may work like the one the guy provided for me in the link. I have a PSU that should be fine with just powering a graphics card that doesn't need extra power cables for it (that's why I am wanting to go low profile) Thanks

UPDATE Checked and now I'm getting conflicting information lol Another tech didn't know and now case manager is suppose to contact me in 24-48 hours. If you or anybody else has any information about this with this PC, please let me know. Thanks

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I'm surprised the HP customer support is knowledgeable for once? Generally HP has the most sh**iest support. I'd still do some research on your bios and see if anyone else has done it though, wouldn't put money on a build and later realize things dont work :/.

What games are you trying to run? Budget? There really isn't much low profile options that offers decent performance. The only ones I see are GTX 750ti and R7 260X as they both have ITX versions. For a more powerful card, R9 285 or the GTX 970 as they both have ITX versions as well. Your options are limited if you want small form factor.

Solution

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015

I just updated the last replay. I still have to do some investigating I suppose lol Thanks a lot for the help with this. I will check out the cards that you listed. I just needed a card that would boost my performance enough if needed for a game in the future so that it doesn't lag is all. I don't mind medium settings on games and all if that helps lol Thanks

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Hmm, if you plan on playing future games and stretch it to triple A titles on medium settings, then i would suggest GTX 960 or 280/380. Because games are just going to get more demanding and these cards will give you enough headroom for at least several years.

Currently I use a R9 270 and it has served me well in playing most games at high settings with decent fps, unless the game is badly optimized like Batman is (but still manages to pull in 35-40fps).

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015

I have a feeling I should probably try to find a Radeon Graphics card for this lol My PC has Radeon R5 graphics that came with it. It looks like I may not be out of luck with this if for some reason it happens to not work when I get the items needed to set it up. I've read that someone altered the BIOS and that it wasn't a very hard process to make sure that their external graphics card worked and it did without any problems.

http://hackaday.com/2015/03/26/a-laptop-with-an-external-graphics-card/

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
That is a custom bios. If you plan to do that, I would recommend asking around more people so that you have a clear picture as to the risks and potential things that can go awry, because if you screw something up, it will brick the motherboard or gpu (whichever you will be customizing). Also not every thing works with custom bios.

AMD or Nvidia doesn't really matter because they both will offer you equally good performance, AMD being on the cheaper side. Its dependent on what your preference is and the sort of games/quality you want. Just be mindful that if you plan on getting higher end models, your cpu should be strong enough to handle it, otherwise it will bottleneck the performance.

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015

I won't mess with the BIOS as I probably won't need to. Thanks for all of your help :) I haven't ran into any problems as it relates to any games yet so I'm good for now haha

Craig M

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015

I have a spare GTX 560. Would that be an improvement over the R5 using this method? Do you know the speed difference between the PCIe 1x and the 16x? I am currently trying to find the answer to this now, but haven't yet. Thanks for any help with this.

UPDATE Just read that it doesn't take a very big hit, but I'm still not sure. Thanks for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.