Facebook Rumored to be Thinking of Buying Opera Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Just when I thought I found the last browser I would ever need, this comes along. I detest Facebook but love the Opera browser. For some reason, it just works for me. It has Chrome's way of making your webpage (not your toolbar's) content the focal point, but without the fear that Google is stalking you while you browse. For anyone who has never tried Opera, I would recommend trying it before Facebook (or someone else) screws it up.

kohvipaus

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Just when I thought I found the last browser I would ever need, this comes along. I detest Facebook but love the Opera browser. For some reason, it just works for me. It has Chrome's way of making your webpage (not your toolbar's) content the focal point, but without the fear that Google is stalking you while you browse. For anyone who has never tried Opera, I would recommend trying it before Facebook (or someone else) screws it up.[/citation]

Hopefully they'll come out with 12.00 before FB gets hands on Opera Software, that would be the last version for me. :(

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just imagine Facebook keeping track of every search you ever made with its search engine and sharing it both with merchants and the government, and making it available to prospective employers. Thanks but not thanks.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Ugggh, I am pretty happy with Opera the way it is. Facebook? I mean really, these guys just messed up their IPO, so maybe they should spend more time on making Facebook profitable enough to warrant the IPO price, instead of buying another browser.

1.76% might seem small, but it's a huge market. When you divide billions by even 50, you still end up with double figures in millions, and that's a lot of people.

It's kind of sad to see Opera getting bought out. They always say they will not change anything, and then always do to serve the parent company's other need better, to the detriment of the product.

This isn't a good thing.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
*cry* They are going to ruin Opera.

Why would you use a browser from a company that earns money by using and trading people's personal information?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This could be both a GOOD thing or a bad thing.
Opera *IS* the best browser out there... it may not be the fastest, but its feature set and ease of use while having lots of options makes it the best.

firefox 4.-whatever the frack it is, copied Opera's look... and has added a few Opera features. IE9 is a cheap crap copy of firefox 4.xx Chrome is quite good, but it does stupid things... Opera is far more usable.

Ever closet out tabs and want some of them back... try that with ff. On Chrome, it only does 1 at a time, backwards. With Opera, you can pick and choose - including other Windows.

Tabbed browsing - Opera was first to have this native... since the 90s.

If Opera is in trouble, then facebook or a good company could be its only savior.

As long as facebook doesn't MESS with the desktop browser (which *WE* will know about it) - then I don't care. Apple, Google and especially Microsoft are major corporations with browsers. If they are lifting sensitive information - they'd be in trouble. facebook themselves is a service with an agreement that is specific to their business. A browser is NOT supposed to be company specific in operations.

facebook could do the STUPID thing by buying Opera and killing the desktop version. We've seen this before. Palm bought BeOS (which was a free download at one point) to get tech to apply to their PDAs and promptly killed the OS!? They could of made it a free OS (not public domain) and created a WHOLE computer market. XP is on par with BeOS in many ways.

facebook *can* grow the desktop Opera market easily... Its a solid product, it looks and feels great. Opera on my Android is 10x better than the Android browser! TRY IT, its free! You get tabbed browsing (not limited to screens) that is faster and far easier to access than Android's. I am usually able to get Desktop webpages - rather than being forced into cell-phone limited pages on some websites.

facebook can't buy IE, Safari or Chrome because they good market share and owned by huge companies. They cannot buy firefox because its open source... and other than its add-on apps, its a pretty shitty copy-cat browser.

So please facebook... if you buy Opera, take care of it. Their tech staff is top-notch, there is NOTHING wrong with the technology. The reason they are last is because their business is making a BROWSER. MS bought IE to add to their OS. Apple made Safari so they wouldn't rely on IE or Netscape - it matches their ideals. Chrome, created by the Juggernaut Google to have better hooks into their own apps. Opera and ff are the only stand-alone browsers on the market.

PS: Yes I know there are even other browsers out there, most of them are projects or splits from ff or ie (mods).

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
The fat lady sings for opera browser.

Opera is a fast, highly compatiable browser made by ethical people, independant of the big tech firms.

Facebook is a massive data-mining operation that seems determined to get every last bit of info on it's users.

I can't see how this take over is a good thing. Wouldn't facebook be better off just writing "facebook" browser plugings instead?. A sad day for diversity and independance in the browser market.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]This could be both a GOOD thing or a bad thing.Opera *IS* the best browser out there... it may not be the fastest, but its feature set and ease of use while having lots of options makes it the best.firefox 4.-whatever the frack it is, copied Opera's look... and has added a few Opera features. IE9 is a cheap crap copy of firefox 4.xx Chrome is quite good, but it does stupid things... Opera is far more usable.Ever closet out tabs and want some of them back... try that with ff. On Chrome, it only does 1 at a time, backwards. With Opera, you can pick and choose - including other Windows.Tabbed browsing - Opera was first to have this native... since the 90s.If Opera is in trouble, then facebook or a good company could be its only savior.As long as facebook doesn't MESS with the desktop browser (which *WE* will know about it) - then I don't care. Apple, Google and especially Microsoft are major corporations with browsers. If they are lifting sensitive information - they'd be in trouble. facebook themselves is a service with an agreement that is specific to their business. A browser is NOT supposed to be company specific in operations.facebook could do the STUPID thing by buying Opera and killing the desktop version. We've seen this before. Palm bought BeOS (which was a free download at one point) to get tech to apply to their PDAs and promptly killed the OS!? They could of made it a free OS (not public domain) and created a WHOLE computer market. XP is on par with BeOS in many ways.facebook *can* grow the desktop Opera market easily... Its a solid product, it looks and feels great. Opera on my Android is 10x better than the Android browser! TRY IT, its free! You get tabbed browsing (not limited to screens) that is faster and far easier to access than Android's. I am usually able to get Desktop webpages - rather than being forced into cell-phone limited pages on some websites.facebook can't buy IE, Safari or Chrome because they good market share and owned by huge companies. They cannot buy firefox because its open source... and other than its add-on apps, its a pretty shitty copy-cat browser.So please facebook... if you buy Opera, take care of it. Their tech staff is top-notch, there is NOTHING wrong with the technology. The reason they are last is because their business is making a BROWSER. MS bought IE to add to their OS. Apple made Safari so they wouldn't rely on IE or Netscape - it matches their ideals. Chrome, created by the Juggernaut Google to have better hooks into their own apps. Opera and ff are the only stand-alone browsers on the market.PS: Yes I know there are even other browsers out there, most of them are projects or splits from ff or ie (mods).[/citation]
Best is a subjective thing when it comes to browsers, it is very personal so no Opera is not the best just the best for you. I do not like Opera I have tried it and just do not like it I always have preferred Firefox (and yes I have tried all the major browsers as well as some smaller ones) so for me Firefox is the best.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Opera is a pretty good browser but with Facebook taking over I have a feeling I may be needing the uninstall option shortly after :-(

sh4dow83

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
if they actually accept (people here act as if it already happened - it's NOT over yet! these are just rumors about facebook WANTING to acquire opera), opera would be dead to me as well. as much as i despise MS and google (and i'm not particularly fond of firefox either), i don't want to use anything that has to do with facebook.

G

Will watch this closely, have been using opera as my main browser for as long as its been around!

I will be sad to say goodbye to an old friend, but this is what I will have to do if Facebook buys Opera.

I detest Facebook almost as much as I detest Apple, there is no way in hell I will use it after take-over, ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.