Google Chrome being really (and I mean REALLY) SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys. I've been a Chrome user for nearly two years, but recently I'm having a big issue. Every time i open the browser it struggles to even open the home page or tabs like the settings. Its not my internet, as i have about 25Mbps down and 7 up. Other browsers are working fine, but I prefer Chrome!

Solution
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You could upgrade to firefox :)

I would suspect an addon, or some sort of sly browser related malware. Check your add/remove programs under control panel, and chromes addons (however they work).

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

when you think about it, i do get weird viewster popups every now and again. how can you disable these?

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

I already gave you one thing to check.

as for chrome its self, I don't know, I don't use it, nor have I ever. I should think its menu (however it works), would have an option to manage addons.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
next thing to check then is that the proxy and network settings in chrome have not been altered. Again I cant tell you how, I dont use chrome. It should be set to auto, or system default.

MarkXXL

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I've experienced this problem in over than 20 computers since I work in computers maintenance and lucky me I discovered that the fix of this problem is that one of the cooling system fans ( CPU fan, GPU fan and PSU fan ) is simply not working well or broken; and after fixing this cooling problem; Google Chrome worked perfectly, so check your computer cooling fans.

Sharky1967

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014

I think that might have been just a co-incidence. My laptop is fairly new and Chrome is awfully slow.

Like you I work in IT, and chrome throughout our client base is noticeably slower. You can disable add-ons or remove them altogether, this fixes some peoples issues but not others. It is very random and I have yet to pin-point it down to JUST an add-on being at fault. I feel it is an inherent problem with the browser itself. Check the dev threads on google chrome, you will see the issue has been ongoing for well over 6mths and is affecting cross-platforms too.

Jeff Buffington

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

Solution

The Phoen

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

Honestly I am not sure why you are giving Chrome advice if you have not used it and all of your answers end in "I don't know, I haven't used it". It's counter productive :?

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

Honestly I don't know why you are leaving comments like this, it really is counter productive and not helpful at all. It is even less helpful to drag out an old thread for no reason. At least I offered suggestions that might help. Unlike your self...

MrBillow

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
Thank you thank you thank you. I have been looking for an answer to sluggish chrome browser for MONTHS and this is the thing that has helped the most.

Ian_T

Estimable
Jul 25, 2014

Thank you! This cleared the problem for me too. It was *unbelievably* slow for the last few weeks, and I couldn't stand the idea of using IE. Firefox was fast the whole time at least.

Robert Ford

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Thanks Jeff! Chrome had become heinously slow for me and disabling hardware acceleration resolved the problem.

The problem appears to have been introduced by upgrade to Version 36. Some people are having success updating their display driver and leaving hardware acceleration enabled. This did not work for me. See answer by ulupoi here for more details:
Chrome lagging after reinstallation

There's a bug report (also noted in the post referenced above) that you can track here:
Issue 395253: Chrome laggy & unstable with upgrade to 36

stanglover37

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Folks,

Very recently chrome started "catching" when you open a new tab, navigate to a new site, even open the settings tab. For example, I will open a new tab which normally brings up the frequent sites I visit. This now takes at least 2 entire seconds to load.

Computer is a new Lenovo X1 Carbon I5 8 gigs ram. I have chrome version 37 on windows 8.1.

I have tried disabling hardware acceleration, did not help. I have tried uninstalling chrome and reinstalling. I have tried disabling all extensions.

I have tried IE, which seems fast still.

I also have this problem at a coffee shop I frequent. Same results over hotspot. I mean to say, internet connection does not seem to affect it. I have run a speedtest over my home wifi; results are good, 10ms ping, 20Mbit down, 5 up.

I have nuked my windows install for this in the past, but this is a newer laptop with lots of lenovo software I dont want to reinstall.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4Vista

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Yeah i've been having the same problem, I scanned for malware,spyware,Trojans, cleaned out registry, defraged nothing. But before that 2 days ago I ran system restore and my browser was working fine again, then I turn on my pc and this happens again. I tried doing system restore again but didn't give me an earlier time anymore :(, cause if it did I would have ran it again and disable the auto chrome update to see if would have fixed the problem which I really think its the case.

Ryanfg

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
I had the same problem with Chrome. Very slow, opening new browsers or tabs were painfully slow.

It turns out that there is a conflict between the new Chrome update and BitDefender.

If you're using BitDefender (the free antivirus software) you'll need to uninstall it and use an alternative antivirus.

As soon as I removed BitDefender, Chrome became lightening fast all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.