Google Chrome can't connect to proxy server and I can't change LAN settings. What do I do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCARVER

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Recently, Google Chrome and IE have been unable to connect to the proxy server. I tried to change the LAN settings but was unable to. How do I fix this?

Solution
I've also got the same problem and I was able to fix it on my own.
Just follow the steps I did:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click Menu on the upper right side. Beside the STAR symbol (Bookmark).
3. Click Show Advanced Settings.
4. Scroll down and find Network.
5. Click Change proxy settings.
6. On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
7. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
8. Then click OK.

Hope it helps .

Quanita Washington

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014

I just tried to follow those step and still didn't work cuz the box is gray

Bob Grove

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
A WORK AROUND to try (until MS finds a permanent automatic solution) is described in 7 steps below.
1. Change your LAN settings you want as described by contributors in your first tab called Settings.
2. Write down your LAN changes in Settings Tab.
3. Leave that Settings tab OPEN always.
4. Open a NEW tab using a NEW icon tab. Do your stuff only on the new tab ONLY.
5. Leave LAN settings tab OPEN while you work. DO NOT close it.
6. Go back in 10 minutes or so and check your notes if LAN settings tab have changed.
7. This seems to allow me to work the new tab and leave the settings the way I left them on the settings tab. Good Luck.
BobGrove00@aol.com

vikas babu Yadav

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
You have to do nothing just follow the steps:
1) Go to setting of crome
2) click on show advance settings
3) scroll down the page to last and click on "reset settings"

here you go, now close your browser and open it again .....hope this will help you..

vikas babu Yadav

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
You have to do nothing just follow the steps:
1) Go to setting of crome

here you go, now close your browser and open it again .....hope this will help you..

TechCenterDude

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014

I did this and it did not work at first. There is an additional step you can try if this does not work, in InternetOptions->Connections->LAN Settings.

Check the Use Proxy Server for your LAN checkbox. Delete the address (you can leave the port, it will probably be 80), then goto Advanced.

In Advanced under Servers make sure http:, secure:, ftp:, socks: fields are all empty.

Make sure the "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" checkbox is unchecked.

Under Exceptions make sure the box only contains this: "*.local" but without the quotes.
Now hit OK.

Now Uncheck the Use Proxy Server for your LAN checkbox and make sure the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox is Checked (it should be the only checkbox of the 3 that is checked).

Now hit OK/Apply and restart your computer.

This should fix it. If it doesn't you need to follow the registry modifying steps: see this video this guy walks you through it. Skip to 1:38 into the video where he boots into safe mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmapUgg12UU

bigdipper

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

sajanm

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
1) Go to setting of chrome

here you go, now close your browser and open it again ...Thank you

Kreaton Cutajar

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

Jason504

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
I am having the same problems. My chrome works and e xplorer works on my desk top. But on the app screen on Windows 8.1 like the store and Ex says proxy server can't be reached. I have tried everything for two days. Nothing works when I go and uncheck it in lan connection it rechecks it's self. I have ran as administrator, safe mode everything. I have reset ex I have done the registry way nothing. I have ran virus scans. I have also deleted everything I have installed since I have got the laptop. I have only had it for 3 days.

govindthegeek

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
If you are changing lan settings and still it reverts, then there is an issue of some malicious content on your system.
You have to start chrome/IE and task manager side by side .
When you start the chrome , a process from that malicious content (might be interent enchancer or acclerator) pops in task manger for few seconds . you have to watch out for that and kill its process tree.
Then once you know the process name..search for a similar name in your computer to find your virus.
Then delete it from your system. Problem solved.

Jason504

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I will try that tonight, but I deleted everything that did not come with the computer. So run task manager on the side of Ex, and if something pops up delete it? Will do thanks

Michael Zink

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

Right click on what to run as an administrator? Some of these tips fail to keep in mind that a lot of us are not computer savvy at all. Can NOT get the bastard proxy server box to stop checking itself back!! SO frustrated...

Michael Zink

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

Awesome reply. Wish I could find the beautiful being that keeps checking the stupid proxy server box back and drop kick its ass back to where it came from. I have no clue what a "proxy server" is, but no computer should ever be made from here on out that has a "proxy server" in it. Period.

eelekim

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014

Perfect! This fixed it first time. Thanks!

Sabrina Says

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I've been fighting with this stupid thing for two days!

Status
Not open for further replies.