Hard disk needed to replace my WD Scorpi Blue WD6400-bevt

deepakmenonk

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have an asus k42ja-vx032d laptop with WD Scorpio Blue 640GB WD6400-bevt hard disk. The hard disk is damaged and want to replace it. I wanted to know if Seagate Momentus 500 GB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (ST500LT012) can be used in my laptop.

Solution

Replacing a 9mm drive with a 7.5mm drive is usually not a problem. Most laptop HDD caddies require you to screw the HDD to the caddy, so it won't flop around despite extra 1.5mm of space.

In the event that your laptop doesn't use a caddy or the caddy doesn't hold the HDD firmly in place, you can stick some pieces of open-cell foam (like a sponge) onto the HDD with some tape. Avoid any holes clearly marked "do not cover," and try to mount the foam close to the corners of the HDD where the case is less likely to flex from the pressure.

avenseth12

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Yes it can be used. Make sure your files are backed up and you have a system restore DVD. You will need to reinstall windows via that DVD and your files when you install the new hard drive

deepakmenonk

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Do you think it will fit in? Because WD HDD is 9mm height and Seagate is only 7.5mm

Replacing a 9mm drive with a 7.5mm drive is usually not a problem. Most laptop HDD caddies require you to screw the HDD to the caddy, so it won't flop around despite extra 1.5mm of space.

In the event that your laptop doesn't use a caddy or the caddy doesn't hold the HDD firmly in place, you can stick some pieces of open-cell foam (like a sponge) onto the HDD with some tape. Avoid any holes clearly marked "do not cover," and try to mount the foam close to the corners of the HDD where the case is less likely to flex from the pressure.

Solution

deepakmenonk

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Thank you so much for the reply. :)

So I hope the height may not be an issue. So, otherwise, the SATA connections and power parameters should all be fine for this new Seagate HDD right?