HD Transmission Via Coax Infrastructure

Rigwald

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2005
When we built our house in 2003, we wired the entire house with coax, to stream the television signal from our DirecTV receivers to other rooms in the house. We have one receiver for the first floor (living room, kitchen, offices) and one receiver for upstairs (master, other bedrooms). [Yes, whatever channel is chosen is seen on the entire level.]

We now have flat screens in the living room and master (with direct hdmi connections to the DirecTV receivers), but as the old analog tv's die, it would be nice for them to be able to take advantage of the HD from the receivers.

Currently, the there is an HDMI cable going from a receiver to the local flat screen. There is also a coaxial output being sent down to the mechanical room and then split (and boosted) to the rooms on the given receiver's floor. Is there a way to send the HD signal via the house's coax and then into new tv's via HDMI? Basically, I would have to split the HDMI signal coming out from the receiver, to allow one to go to the local flat screen and one to go into the coax to the rest of the floor.

kanewolf

Judicious

I wasn't sure if those would fan-out. It looked like those were point to point. It sounded like the OP wanted a fan-out to any coax connected device on the floor. That is why I didn't think the point-to-point type adapters you referenced would be appropriate. I could be wrong on my interpretation of the original post.

Rigwald

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2005

The desire is, indeed, to send the signal down to the mechanical room panel and then distribute the signal to the tv's on the floor via coax. The panel is currently taking the coaxial signal from the DTV receiver, boosts and distributes it to the tv's on the floor.

Are you saying that americanaudiophile's solution wouldn't work? If not, why? (There is no need of IR control of the DTV box, since we have RF remotes.)

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't know if will allow fan out. Notice the link he has is a pair of devices. Implying a point to point topology rather than a fan-out. If a single sender can be used with multiple receivers, you have to purchase a receiver box for each device. I just don't know if will work that way or not. My device creates the equivalent of an over-the-air HD signal from the HDMI input and then any TV with a HD tuner can receive it over standard coax. That implementation will definitely work with fan out.

A question to the manufacturer or a question on Amazon may tell you if they are point-to-point only or if you can fan-out.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
it is more than likely only point to point as was pointed out with the "pairing requirement". There are no "standards" for "conversion signalling", hence a "proprietary implementation". Anyways, you would be buying "multiple pairs of converters". Just place one on each run after it leaves the coax amp.... hopefully, you are talking about less than 7 other wise the "HD coax distribution" suggestion is a better bet cost wise... although if you require two different "source regions" then you would need two "hd coax distribution" boxes which would be quite a cost.

oops... forget this post... got my inputs / outputs confused.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
after a bit of "re-think". you would need one pair of converters to go on the source to "central location" / amp area coax run. Then a hdmi splitter / distribution amp to break out the hdmi signal for multiple "sink points". Then a pair of coax hdmi/converters for each run to the various "sinks" / TVs there after.

go to a place like hdtvsupply.com as there are a few different choices, some more some less... along with potentially a few other options but beware of requirements as all appear to be "home run" type implementations.

further reading at said site indicates that perhaps this product works for your scenario ... http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-coax-extender.html although its more cascading than "star".