HDMI Audio only has 2 channel option on 5.1 Receiver?

timoteo1234

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
I want to have 5.1 for my Netflix streaming.

I have my PC hooked up to my receiver via HDMI, and an HDMI from my receiver to the TV.

I have this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157464

And I have this AVR:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141JVEHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have gone into my BIOS to allow the HDMI audio output from the Motherboard. But when I use it, I only get 2 channel. I went into configure my speakers, and the only option I have is "Stereo"

I know there have been a couple of these threads already, and I have read them, but those fixes haven't worked yet for me. I am running Windows 7. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would first download some demo 5.1 files to verify that you have a proper dolby file. Then try a player that supports it. I would maybe try downloading kodi as the media player, then google "how to enable kodi passthrough" so you can pass the dolby encoded audio direct to the receiver and let it decode it and see what happens there.

timoteo1234

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Netflix capabilities aside, I can't get 5.1 even as an option for watching my movie collection either. And, the BIOS information was because HDMI audio wasn't an option until I turned it on in the BIOS, now it is. Within control panel there is no configuration for 5.1 in the HDMI setting that I can find.

And what movie collection, did you rip them all with surround included and playing back with a capable surround player that can decode the proper codecs or supports passthrough which is preferred to let the AVR do the decoding. In all reality, a properly ripped movie or 5.1 source would send the dolby encoded info to the AVR and the receiver would pick it up and decode I think regardless of whatever the PC was set for set for.

timoteo1234

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

They were ripped with surround included. I have also tried to use the Digital Audio Jack the fiber optic line, and can't even get any sound out of that at all....

I would first download some demo 5.1 files to verify that you have a proper dolby file. Then try a player that supports it. I would maybe try downloading kodi as the media player, then google "how to enable kodi passthrough" so you can pass the dolby encoded audio direct to the receiver and let it decode it and see what happens there.

Solution